Apr 10, 2012, 8:37 AM EDT
When the NHL season came to an end, Sabres coach Lindy Ruff took his season’s worth of frustrations out on some of his players through the media. As you might expect, doing things that way didn’t exactly sit right with some of the guys in the room and, most pointedly, centerman Derek Roy took issue with his coach.
As the teams cleared out their lockers for the summer, Roy told John Vogl of The Buffalo News his thoughts on Ruff’s media outburst about his team.
“To be pointing fingers now is obviously tough,” said center Derek Roy in response to Ruff saying over the weekend the core didn’t get it done. “Behind closed doors, I think it’s fine. You can be hard. It’s not fun, but it’s good to be hard on your players behind closed doors, on the bench to get them pumped up. I’m not a coach, but I don’t think it’s the right thing to be saying it to the media.”
Airing your dirty laundry in public never goes over well and with how fragile the Sabres’ psyche was at times this year, it’s no surprise that someone took exception to this. For Roy, however, sounding off against Ruff might be his not-so-subtle way of nudging GM Darcy Regier to move him this summer.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 5
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 13
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 35
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 17
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)