Apr 10, 2012, 8:37 AM EDT
When the NHL season came to an end, Sabres coach Lindy Ruff took his season’s worth of frustrations out on some of his players through the media. As you might expect, doing things that way didn’t exactly sit right with some of the guys in the room and, most pointedly, centerman Derek Roy took issue with his coach.
As the teams cleared out their lockers for the summer, Roy told John Vogl of The Buffalo News his thoughts on Ruff’s media outburst about his team.
“To be pointing fingers now is obviously tough,” said center Derek Roy in response to Ruff saying over the weekend the core didn’t get it done. “Behind closed doors, I think it’s fine. You can be hard. It’s not fun, but it’s good to be hard on your players behind closed doors, on the bench to get them pumped up. I’m not a coach, but I don’t think it’s the right thing to be saying it to the media.”
Airing your dirty laundry in public never goes over well and with how fragile the Sabres’ psyche was at times this year, it’s no surprise that someone took exception to this. For Roy, however, sounding off against Ruff might be his not-so-subtle way of nudging GM Darcy Regier to move him this summer.
- Andre’s gigantic game: Caps push Rangers to the brink 33
- Quick strike: Lightning steal Game 3 from Habs with last-second goal 17
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 18
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 46
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ (67)
- Lundqvist thinks Backstrom’s hit caused Rangers to lose focus before game-winning goal (63)