Apr 9, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
One of the best players to ever come out of Finland is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and while he’s in the twilight of his career, he still has a lot to give. Ducks GM Bob Murray is interested in re-signing him and it looks like a deal could get done. That’s right: Saku Koivu is open to inking an extension with the Anaheim Ducks. What, did you think I was talking about someone else?
While Koivu, who is third all-time among Finnish players in points, might not attract the same kind of attention as his countryman Teemu Selanne, he is still a decent secondary scorer and a valuable veteran presence.
“We’ve enjoyed it a lot,” Koivu said. ”Everything that we looked for has happened except the success in the playoffs. When you’re family’s happy, you feel comfortable. I don’t see a reason why I should go and look for something else.”
Koivu might be asked to accept a pay cut from the $2.5 million he made this season, but it sounds like the two sides could reach an agreement.
“Obviously it’s going to take a little bit of time for management to review what happened in the previous season and make a plan for next year,” Koivu said. “But I don’t see reason why it should take far into the summer.”
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)