Apr 9, 2012, 8:20 PM EST
One of the best players to ever come out of Finland is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and while he’s in the twilight of his career, he still has a lot to give. Ducks GM Bob Murray is interested in re-signing him and it looks like a deal could get done. That’s right: Saku Koivu is open to inking an extension with the Anaheim Ducks. What, did you think I was talking about someone else?
While Koivu, who is third all-time among Finnish players in points, might not attract the same kind of attention as his countryman Teemu Selanne, he is still a decent secondary scorer and a valuable veteran presence.
“We’ve enjoyed it a lot,” Koivu said. ”Everything that we looked for has happened except the success in the playoffs. When you’re family’s happy, you feel comfortable. I don’t see a reason why I should go and look for something else.”
Koivu might be asked to accept a pay cut from the $2.5 million he made this season, but it sounds like the two sides could reach an agreement.
“Obviously it’s going to take a little bit of time for management to review what happened in the previous season and make a plan for next year,” Koivu said. “But I don’t see reason why it should take far into the summer.”
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 3
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 11
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 10
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 60
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)