Apr 9, 2012, 8:20 PM EST
One of the best players to ever come out of Finland is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and while he’s in the twilight of his career, he still has a lot to give. Ducks GM Bob Murray is interested in re-signing him and it looks like a deal could get done. That’s right: Saku Koivu is open to inking an extension with the Anaheim Ducks. What, did you think I was talking about someone else?
While Koivu, who is third all-time among Finnish players in points, might not attract the same kind of attention as his countryman Teemu Selanne, he is still a decent secondary scorer and a valuable veteran presence.
“We’ve enjoyed it a lot,” Koivu said. ”Everything that we looked for has happened except the success in the playoffs. When you’re family’s happy, you feel comfortable. I don’t see a reason why I should go and look for something else.”
Koivu might be asked to accept a pay cut from the $2.5 million he made this season, but it sounds like the two sides could reach an agreement.
“Obviously it’s going to take a little bit of time for management to review what happened in the previous season and make a plan for next year,” Koivu said. “But I don’t see reason why it should take far into the summer.”
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)