Apr 9, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
One of the best players to ever come out of Finland is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and while he’s in the twilight of his career, he still has a lot to give. Ducks GM Bob Murray is interested in re-signing him and it looks like a deal could get done. That’s right: Saku Koivu is open to inking an extension with the Anaheim Ducks. What, did you think I was talking about someone else?
While Koivu, who is third all-time among Finnish players in points, might not attract the same kind of attention as his countryman Teemu Selanne, he is still a decent secondary scorer and a valuable veteran presence.
“We’ve enjoyed it a lot,” Koivu said. ”Everything that we looked for has happened except the success in the playoffs. When you’re family’s happy, you feel comfortable. I don’t see a reason why I should go and look for something else.”
Koivu might be asked to accept a pay cut from the $2.5 million he made this season, but it sounds like the two sides could reach an agreement.
“Obviously it’s going to take a little bit of time for management to review what happened in the previous season and make a plan for next year,” Koivu said. “But I don’t see reason why it should take far into the summer.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)