Apr 9, 2012, 8:31 AM EDT
The Bruins come into the playoffs with a few injuries of note to Johnny Boychuk and Nathan Horton, but backup goalie Tuukka Rask is still out with a groin/abdomen injury that’s kept him out of action since early March.
Now with the playoffs about to start this week and things not looking good for Horton, attention has turned to Rask to see if he’ll be able to backup Tim Thomas as the Bruins look to defend the Stanley Cup. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty hears it from Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli that Rask is right on schedule for when he’s due to return.
“I’d characterize Johnny [Boychuk] and Adam [McQuaid] as day-to-day in their respective injuries. I think Tuukka’s is maybe a little bit more than day-to-day. He’s been pretty aggressive with his rehab,” said Chiarelli. “I don’t have my calendar in front of me but I think he might be bang on [with a six-week rehab]. We’ll see how he goes the next couple of days, but we certainly have a capable backup in [Anton] Khudobin [if Rask can’t play].”
If you’re wondering about Marty Turco, he’s not eligible to play for the Bruins in the playoffs because he signed out of Switzerland after the trade deadline.
It’s just the backup goalie position but we’ve seen backups play more-than important roles in the past and the Bruins would like to be fully squared away in goal. Looks like they won’t be too far off from that after all.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 34
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)