Apr 9, 2012, 9:21 AM EST
There’s plenty that could be said about Buffalo’s season that wasn’t. After an offseason that saw owner Terry Pegula open the wallet to let GM Darcy Regier spend like a mad man and turn the Sabres into a team that needed a furious finish to just miss the playoffs, you could say things in Buffalo aren’t too happy.
As John Vogl of The Buffalo News finds out from Sabres coach Lindy Ruff he didn’t mince words with how to describe the season.
As they clean out their lockers and conduct exit meetings today, the Sabres have to look at the 2011-12 season for what it really was. It was a wasted season. It was a lost season.
“For sure,” coach Lindy Ruff said. “I think you’ve got to look at it that way. You can’t look at it any other way.”
That cuts to the core. Do the players feel the same way though? Jason Pominville sure does as he tells Vogl that “it feels like another wasted year.” Another sad, depressing end to a season in Buffalo but there are reasons to have hope for next season.
Tyler Ennis emerged as an exciting playmaker and goal scorer while Marcus Foligno turned into a power forward with a nose for the net. Should Buffalo get complete seasons from Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek, there’s reason to be excited. They just might have to keep Terry Pegula away from his wallet this summer to be safe.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)