Apr 9, 2012, 9:21 AM EST
There’s plenty that could be said about Buffalo’s season that wasn’t. After an offseason that saw owner Terry Pegula open the wallet to let GM Darcy Regier spend like a mad man and turn the Sabres into a team that needed a furious finish to just miss the playoffs, you could say things in Buffalo aren’t too happy.
As John Vogl of The Buffalo News finds out from Sabres coach Lindy Ruff he didn’t mince words with how to describe the season.
As they clean out their lockers and conduct exit meetings today, the Sabres have to look at the 2011-12 season for what it really was. It was a wasted season. It was a lost season.
“For sure,” coach Lindy Ruff said. “I think you’ve got to look at it that way. You can’t look at it any other way.”
That cuts to the core. Do the players feel the same way though? Jason Pominville sure does as he tells Vogl that “it feels like another wasted year.” Another sad, depressing end to a season in Buffalo but there are reasons to have hope for next season.
Tyler Ennis emerged as an exciting playmaker and goal scorer while Marcus Foligno turned into a power forward with a nose for the net. Should Buffalo get complete seasons from Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek, there’s reason to be excited. They just might have to keep Terry Pegula away from his wallet this summer to be safe.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)