Apr 9, 2012, 4:08 PM EDT
Jets coach Claude Noel met with the media Sunday to share his thoughts on the end of Winnipeg’s season.
Noel touched on a number of topics, including the team’s attitude towards winning, which he says must improve.
“We have to want and expect to be in the playoffs,” he said. “Our conduct, our existence just has to be better, that’s where it starts.”
But perhaps most interesting were his comments on the club’s ability to attract players to the smallest market in the NHL, and one that won’t find its name on the list of most exotic cities on the planet.
“I think we’ve got a good thing going here and not for one second will I take a back seat to anywhere else,” Noel said. “We’re a good team. This is a great place to play. It’s going to be a destination players are going to want to come to. And if they don’t want to, then don’t come. It’s that simple.
“Green Bay (Packers) wins. What the hell’s in Green Bay? You been to Green Bay? I mean, I’ve been to Green Bay. It’s a nice town, but… Winnipeg’s going to be a good place to play. I think players really like it and the response we get from our players is they love playing here. It won’t be for everybody. So be it. Some guys might want to golf all year round. Go ahead.
“I learned a long time ago you don’t sell your soul to get a player to come. You get him to come for the right reasons and you’ll win.”
Hard to disagree with Noel’s point. If you’re a hockey player that cares more about the game than the nightlife or weather, why wouldn’t you want to play in Winnipeg? There are plenty of opportunities to hit the bars on the road. There aren’t many, if any, places you can play in front of fans like that on a regular basis.
Granted, your wife or girlfriend might see things differently, but if that’s the way she’s going to be, fine, you’ll go to Florida.
“But we’re getting a hot housekeeper.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)