Apr 9, 2012, 4:08 PM EST
Jets coach Claude Noel met with the media Sunday to share his thoughts on the end of Winnipeg’s season.
Noel touched on a number of topics, including the team’s attitude towards winning, which he says must improve.
“We have to want and expect to be in the playoffs,” he said. “Our conduct, our existence just has to be better, that’s where it starts.”
But perhaps most interesting were his comments on the club’s ability to attract players to the smallest market in the NHL, and one that won’t find its name on the list of most exotic cities on the planet.
“I think we’ve got a good thing going here and not for one second will I take a back seat to anywhere else,” Noel said. “We’re a good team. This is a great place to play. It’s going to be a destination players are going to want to come to. And if they don’t want to, then don’t come. It’s that simple.
“Green Bay (Packers) wins. What the hell’s in Green Bay? You been to Green Bay? I mean, I’ve been to Green Bay. It’s a nice town, but… Winnipeg’s going to be a good place to play. I think players really like it and the response we get from our players is they love playing here. It won’t be for everybody. So be it. Some guys might want to golf all year round. Go ahead.
“I learned a long time ago you don’t sell your soul to get a player to come. You get him to come for the right reasons and you’ll win.”
Hard to disagree with Noel’s point. If you’re a hockey player that cares more about the game than the nightlife or weather, why wouldn’t you want to play in Winnipeg? There are plenty of opportunities to hit the bars on the road. There aren’t many, if any, places you can play in front of fans like that on a regular basis.
Granted, your wife or girlfriend might see things differently, but if that’s the way she’s going to be, fine, you’ll go to Florida.
“But we’re getting a hot housekeeper.”
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 0
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 3
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 9
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)