Apr 9, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
Anyone wondering which goalie will start for the Blues Thursday against San Jose will have to wait until Thursday, reports Jeremy Rutherford of the Post-Dispatch.
Both goalies make strong cases.
From the Post-Dispatch:
The tandem won the Jennings Trophy for allowing the fewest goals against in the NHL this season (165). The duo’s 1.89 goals-against average this season was the lowest GAA in the NHL since the Original Six expanded in 1967-68.
Halak finished 26-12-7 with a 1.97 GAA and a .926 save-percentage. He also had six shutouts. Elliott, meanwhile, set the NHL post-expansion record with a 1.56 GAA to go along with a league-best .940 save-percentage. He had nine shutouts.
If I had to guess (and this is nothing but a guess), I’d say it’ll be Halak, if only because of what he did in the playoffs two years ago with the Habs.
Elliott, on the other hand, has just four playoff games on his resume – all in 2010 – and only one of the four was particularly good.
In fact, the same time Halak was shutting down the Caps, Elliott was getting ventilated by the Penguins.
Obviously Elliott’s come a long way since then, but how else are you supposed to choose between those two?
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)