Apr 9, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
Anyone wondering which goalie will start for the Blues Thursday against San Jose will have to wait until Thursday, reports Jeremy Rutherford of the Post-Dispatch.
Both goalies make strong cases.
From the Post-Dispatch:
The tandem won the Jennings Trophy for allowing the fewest goals against in the NHL this season (165). The duo’s 1.89 goals-against average this season was the lowest GAA in the NHL since the Original Six expanded in 1967-68.
Halak finished 26-12-7 with a 1.97 GAA and a .926 save-percentage. He also had six shutouts. Elliott, meanwhile, set the NHL post-expansion record with a 1.56 GAA to go along with a league-best .940 save-percentage. He had nine shutouts.
If I had to guess (and this is nothing but a guess), I’d say it’ll be Halak, if only because of what he did in the playoffs two years ago with the Habs.
Elliott, on the other hand, has just four playoff games on his resume – all in 2010 – and only one of the four was particularly good.
In fact, the same time Halak was shutting down the Caps, Elliott was getting ventilated by the Penguins.
Obviously Elliott’s come a long way since then, but how else are you supposed to choose between those two?
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 11
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 40
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 26
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control