Apr 9, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
Anyone wondering which goalie will start for the Blues Thursday against San Jose will have to wait until Thursday, reports Jeremy Rutherford of the Post-Dispatch.
Both goalies make strong cases.
From the Post-Dispatch:
The tandem won the Jennings Trophy for allowing the fewest goals against in the NHL this season (165). The duo’s 1.89 goals-against average this season was the lowest GAA in the NHL since the Original Six expanded in 1967-68.
Halak finished 26-12-7 with a 1.97 GAA and a .926 save-percentage. He also had six shutouts. Elliott, meanwhile, set the NHL post-expansion record with a 1.56 GAA to go along with a league-best .940 save-percentage. He had nine shutouts.
If I had to guess (and this is nothing but a guess), I’d say it’ll be Halak, if only because of what he did in the playoffs two years ago with the Habs.
Elliott, on the other hand, has just four playoff games on his resume – all in 2010 – and only one of the four was particularly good.
In fact, the same time Halak was shutting down the Caps, Elliott was getting ventilated by the Penguins.
Obviously Elliott’s come a long way since then, but how else are you supposed to choose between those two?
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)