Apr 9, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
Anyone wondering which goalie will start for the Blues Thursday against San Jose will have to wait until Thursday, reports Jeremy Rutherford of the Post-Dispatch.
Both goalies make strong cases.
From the Post-Dispatch:
The tandem won the Jennings Trophy for allowing the fewest goals against in the NHL this season (165). The duo’s 1.89 goals-against average this season was the lowest GAA in the NHL since the Original Six expanded in 1967-68.
Halak finished 26-12-7 with a 1.97 GAA and a .926 save-percentage. He also had six shutouts. Elliott, meanwhile, set the NHL post-expansion record with a 1.56 GAA to go along with a league-best .940 save-percentage. He had nine shutouts.
If I had to guess (and this is nothing but a guess), I’d say it’ll be Halak, if only because of what he did in the playoffs two years ago with the Habs.
Elliott, on the other hand, has just four playoff games on his resume – all in 2010 – and only one of the four was particularly good.
In fact, the same time Halak was shutting down the Caps, Elliott was getting ventilated by the Penguins.
Obviously Elliott’s come a long way since then, but how else are you supposed to choose between those two?
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)