Apr 9, 2012, 6:12 PM EDT
Talk about waiting until the last minute.
The game isn’t until Friday, so why not wait until…Friday?
That’s exactly what he plans to do.
“I’ll give it a gut-check,” Dineen told the Associated Press. “I haven’t talked to my belly yet. Our goalies have been excellent for the most part, and that makes for a quality choice when we do get going.”
More, from the AP:
Over the last month, Clemmensen’s numbers would suggest he has an edge.
In four starts and one brief relief appearance, Clemmensen’s goals-against-average is 1.19 and he’s stopped 96 percent of the shots he’s faced. Theodore’s GAA over that span is 2.27 in 12 starts, saving 92 percent of shots coming his way.
Clemmensen faced the Devils once this season, stopping 27 of 28 shots in a 3-1 win on Feb. 11. Theodore played twice against New Jersey, making 54 saves on 59 shots as the Panthers won once in regulation and lost the other in a shootout.
The major difference between Clemmensen and Theodore is in playoff experience. Theodore has played over 50 postseason games, going to the dance with four different organizations (Montreal, Colorado, Washington and now, Florida.)
Clemmensen, meanwhile, has exactly six minutes and 53 seconds of playoff experience — which came in in New Jersey during a relief appearance of Martin Brodeur in the 2005-06 playoffs.
Dineen acknowledged Theodore had a far more impressive playoff resume, but stressed the Game 1 decision would be based on current form, not past.
“I know he’s a heck of a goalie that’s had playoff success and I know he’s played some quality hockey for us this year,” Dineen said, speaking of Theodore. “And Clem’s done a heck of a job for us for the last three weeks. So exciting time in our net, to say the least.”
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 14
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)