Apr 9, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT
Now — just prior to the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs — Bryz is at it again with references to the outdoors. On Monday, one intrepid reporter asked the Flyers goalie for his take on Philly’s opening round opponent, the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Reporter: What’s the biggest threat that the Penguins have?
Bryzgalov: You know, I’m not afraid of anything. I’m afraid of bears — bears in the forest.
And here’s the video:
While this quote isn’t a big deal — what was Bryz going to say, that he’s terrified of the Pens? — you have to wonder if some within the Flyers organization aren’t awkwardly pulling at their collars right now.
Bryzgalov’s best stretch of play this year coincided with him focusing on hockey and avoiding the Yakov Smirnoff routine (conversely, his worst stretch coincided with trying out monologue material with reporters.)
There’s also the notion that the bigger the stage, the more Bryzgalov is likely to put his foot in his mouth. We saw evidence of this at the 2012 Winter Classic, when he let the cat out of the bag that Sergei Bobrovsky would be getting the start in goal (an attempt to be funny that, reportedly, infuriated head coach Peter Laviolette.)
While it’s probably too soon for Philly to start thinking about re-instituting the gag order, one wonders if this might be the last Bryzgalov quip we get this postseason.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (85)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (38)