Apr 9, 2012, 11:49 AM EDT
Heading into the playoffs with confidence is important for some teams. For Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli, he’s got plenty of confidence in his team and why shouldn’t he? Chiarelli saw the Bruins rise up and storm through the playoffs winning three Game 7s on their way to the Stanley Cup last season.
This time around, he tells CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty that success has helped him get used to ending the season on a strong note.
“The season itself felt really like three different seasons, the start, the great stretch and the mediocrity in the middle,” Chiarelli says.
“The good finish is what I’ve grown accustomed to so I don’t put that as an additional part. Those kinds of lines were drawn into segments. It seems whenever I describe a season I always talk about ups-and-downs, so that’s part of what happens in the season.”
Chiarelli says he liked how the Bruins closed out the year in their final eight or nine games (Boston went 7-1-1 in their last nine) and that he likes how the team is set heading into the playoffs.
Even though the Bruins likely won’t see much, if anything, from Nathan Horton and defensemen Adam McQuaid and Johnny Boychuk are banged up as well, the defending champs are set to be strong contenders to win it all again this year.
If Chiarelli can get one more good finish from his team this postseason, he might actually start to like all parts of the season next year.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)