Apr 9, 2012, 9:55 PM EDT
The odds are stacked against the eighth seed Ottawa Senators in their first round series against the New York Rangers, but that’s okay. Sure, the Senators will play to win just like everyone else and they aren’t going to let a little thing like the Rangers superior record, all-star goaltending, intimidating top line, or their impressive depth stop them from giving it their all. Taking a step back though, this is a rebuilding season for the Senators and, on that level, just getting some playoff experience is a victory.
Only, for Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson, this season isn’t about laying the ground work for a future Stanley Cup bid. At the age of 39, this might very well be it for him.
“I look at it as, it could be my last playoffs,” Alfredsson said. “I’m going to treat it as such, too. Who knows, even if I play next year, if we get back in the playoffs. You just want to make sure you enjoy it, and make the most of it.”
It’s worth noting that Alfredsson is signed through the 2012-13 campaign, but he might decide to hang up his skates this summer. He’s spent his entire career with the Ottawa Senators and has never won a Stanley Cup. You can expect him to play with a lot of passion as the Senators attempt to upset the top seeded Rangers.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 26
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)