Apr 9, 2012, 9:55 PM EDT
The odds are stacked against the eighth seed Ottawa Senators in their first round series against the New York Rangers, but that’s okay. Sure, the Senators will play to win just like everyone else and they aren’t going to let a little thing like the Rangers superior record, all-star goaltending, intimidating top line, or their impressive depth stop them from giving it their all. Taking a step back though, this is a rebuilding season for the Senators and, on that level, just getting some playoff experience is a victory.
Only, for Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson, this season isn’t about laying the ground work for a future Stanley Cup bid. At the age of 39, this might very well be it for him.
“I look at it as, it could be my last playoffs,” Alfredsson said. “I’m going to treat it as such, too. Who knows, even if I play next year, if we get back in the playoffs. You just want to make sure you enjoy it, and make the most of it.”
It’s worth noting that Alfredsson is signed through the 2012-13 campaign, but he might decide to hang up his skates this summer. He’s spent his entire career with the Ottawa Senators and has never won a Stanley Cup. You can expect him to play with a lot of passion as the Senators attempt to upset the top seeded Rangers.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 1
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)