Apr 9, 2012, 9:55 PM EST
The odds are stacked against the eighth seed Ottawa Senators in their first round series against the New York Rangers, but that’s okay. Sure, the Senators will play to win just like everyone else and they aren’t going to let a little thing like the Rangers superior record, all-star goaltending, intimidating top line, or their impressive depth stop them from giving it their all. Taking a step back though, this is a rebuilding season for the Senators and, on that level, just getting some playoff experience is a victory.
Only, for Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson, this season isn’t about laying the ground work for a future Stanley Cup bid. At the age of 39, this might very well be it for him.
“I look at it as, it could be my last playoffs,” Alfredsson said. “I’m going to treat it as such, too. Who knows, even if I play next year, if we get back in the playoffs. You just want to make sure you enjoy it, and make the most of it.”
It’s worth noting that Alfredsson is signed through the 2012-13 campaign, but he might decide to hang up his skates this summer. He’s spent his entire career with the Ottawa Senators and has never won a Stanley Cup. You can expect him to play with a lot of passion as the Senators attempt to upset the top seeded Rangers.
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 5
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 12
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 28
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 53
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers host Flyers on Rivalry Night 4
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (53)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)