Apr 9, 2012, 9:55 PM EDT
The odds are stacked against the eighth seed Ottawa Senators in their first round series against the New York Rangers, but that’s okay. Sure, the Senators will play to win just like everyone else and they aren’t going to let a little thing like the Rangers superior record, all-star goaltending, intimidating top line, or their impressive depth stop them from giving it their all. Taking a step back though, this is a rebuilding season for the Senators and, on that level, just getting some playoff experience is a victory.
Only, for Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson, this season isn’t about laying the ground work for a future Stanley Cup bid. At the age of 39, this might very well be it for him.
“I look at it as, it could be my last playoffs,” Alfredsson said. “I’m going to treat it as such, too. Who knows, even if I play next year, if we get back in the playoffs. You just want to make sure you enjoy it, and make the most of it.”
It’s worth noting that Alfredsson is signed through the 2012-13 campaign, but he might decide to hang up his skates this summer. He’s spent his entire career with the Ottawa Senators and has never won a Stanley Cup. You can expect him to play with a lot of passion as the Senators attempt to upset the top seeded Rangers.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)