Apr 8, 2012, 3:39 PM EDT
One of the biggest benefits of the lockout is the very cap-friendly rookie maximum – at least for teams. It’s obviously not that great for high-end draft picks, though.* Tyler Seguin will start to cost the Boston Bruins a lot more starting in 2013-14, yet he still has some incentives to shoot for in his current deal. The Boston Globe’s Fluto Shinzawa reports that Seguin made himself a lot of extra money thanks to his breakout sophomore season.
Seguin will carry at least a $1.75 million cap hit this year because of his sparkling sophomore season. Seguin hit six of his attainable Individual A bonuses, which are each worth $212,500. Individual A bonuses are capped at $850,000 total. Seguin has a $900,000 base salary.
Seguin earned his bonuses because he netted 20 or more goals, had 35 or more assists, and recorded 60-plus points. Seguin also reached three other thresholds by averaging 0.73 points or more per game (0.83), being among the top three team forwards in plus/minus rating (plus-34), and being named to the All-Star game.
Shinzawa points out that Seguin could score a few more bonuses this summer, too. He has playoff-related benchmarks in his contract that could earn him as much as $1.8 million in extra cash, with a Conn Smythe being the biggest bullet point.
So let me ask: does Seguin have one more lucrative run in him this season?
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)