Apr 8, 2012, 3:39 PM EDT
One of the biggest benefits of the lockout is the very cap-friendly rookie maximum – at least for teams. It’s obviously not that great for high-end draft picks, though.* Tyler Seguin will start to cost the Boston Bruins a lot more starting in 2013-14, yet he still has some incentives to shoot for in his current deal. The Boston Globe’s Fluto Shinzawa reports that Seguin made himself a lot of extra money thanks to his breakout sophomore season.
Seguin will carry at least a $1.75 million cap hit this year because of his sparkling sophomore season. Seguin hit six of his attainable Individual A bonuses, which are each worth $212,500. Individual A bonuses are capped at $850,000 total. Seguin has a $900,000 base salary.
Seguin earned his bonuses because he netted 20 or more goals, had 35 or more assists, and recorded 60-plus points. Seguin also reached three other thresholds by averaging 0.73 points or more per game (0.83), being among the top three team forwards in plus/minus rating (plus-34), and being named to the All-Star game.
Shinzawa points out that Seguin could score a few more bonuses this summer, too. He has playoff-related benchmarks in his contract that could earn him as much as $1.8 million in extra cash, with a Conn Smythe being the biggest bullet point.
So let me ask: does Seguin have one more lucrative run in him this season?
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 2
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)