Apr 8, 2012, 12:23 AM EDT
Even though Saturday was primarily about the National Hockey League, a pretty impressive feat was accomplished in the AHL.
The Norfolk Admirals — Tampa Bay’s minor-league affiliate — won their 25th straight game of the season with a 4-1 win over the Binghamton Senators.
With a trio of goals in the final three minutes of regulation on Saturday night, the Norfolk Admirals (52-18-1-2) downed the Binghamton Senators (28-40-4-2), 4-1, in their regular season finale in front of a sellout crowd at Norfolk Scope Arena.
With the win, the Admirals set a franchise record with 15 consecutive wins on home ice and stretched their overall winning streak to 25 games.
Some fun facts about the streak:
— Norfolk has not lost since Feb. 5th – a 4-2 defeat in Springfield.
— The Admirals extended their regulation winning streak to 19 games, a record for active professional hockey leagues in North America.
— They’ve won 24 of 25 games during the winning streak in regulation and only one game in a shootout (Feb. 18 vs. Syracuse).
So…the AHL affiliate rips off its 25th straight win and Steve Stamkos scores his 60th goal all on the same night. Not a bad little evening for Tampa Bay, that.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 64
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 29
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15