Apr 8, 2012, 12:23 AM EDT
Even though Saturday was primarily about the National Hockey League, a pretty impressive feat was accomplished in the AHL.
The Norfolk Admirals — Tampa Bay’s minor-league affiliate — won their 25th straight game of the season with a 4-1 win over the Binghamton Senators.
With a trio of goals in the final three minutes of regulation on Saturday night, the Norfolk Admirals (52-18-1-2) downed the Binghamton Senators (28-40-4-2), 4-1, in their regular season finale in front of a sellout crowd at Norfolk Scope Arena.
With the win, the Admirals set a franchise record with 15 consecutive wins on home ice and stretched their overall winning streak to 25 games.
Some fun facts about the streak:
– Norfolk has not lost since Feb. 5th – a 4-2 defeat in Springfield.
– The Admirals extended their regulation winning streak to 19 games, a record for active professional hockey leagues in North America.
– They’ve won 24 of 25 games during the winning streak in regulation and only one game in a shootout (Feb. 18 vs. Syracuse).
So…the AHL affiliate rips off its 25th straight win and Steve Stamkos scores his 60th goal all on the same night. Not a bad little evening for Tampa Bay, that.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 3
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 24
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)