Apr 8, 2012, 12:23 AM EDT
Even though Saturday was primarily about the National Hockey League, a pretty impressive feat was accomplished in the AHL.
The Norfolk Admirals — Tampa Bay’s minor-league affiliate — won their 25th straight game of the season with a 4-1 win over the Binghamton Senators.
With a trio of goals in the final three minutes of regulation on Saturday night, the Norfolk Admirals (52-18-1-2) downed the Binghamton Senators (28-40-4-2), 4-1, in their regular season finale in front of a sellout crowd at Norfolk Scope Arena.
With the win, the Admirals set a franchise record with 15 consecutive wins on home ice and stretched their overall winning streak to 25 games.
Some fun facts about the streak:
– Norfolk has not lost since Feb. 5th – a 4-2 defeat in Springfield.
– The Admirals extended their regulation winning streak to 19 games, a record for active professional hockey leagues in North America.
– They’ve won 24 of 25 games during the winning streak in regulation and only one game in a shootout (Feb. 18 vs. Syracuse).
So…the AHL affiliate rips off its 25th straight win and Steve Stamkos scores his 60th goal all on the same night. Not a bad little evening for Tampa Bay, that.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 19
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 8
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)