Apr 8, 2012, 12:23 AM EDT
Even though Saturday was primarily about the National Hockey League, a pretty impressive feat was accomplished in the AHL.
The Norfolk Admirals — Tampa Bay’s minor-league affiliate — won their 25th straight game of the season with a 4-1 win over the Binghamton Senators.
With a trio of goals in the final three minutes of regulation on Saturday night, the Norfolk Admirals (52-18-1-2) downed the Binghamton Senators (28-40-4-2), 4-1, in their regular season finale in front of a sellout crowd at Norfolk Scope Arena.
With the win, the Admirals set a franchise record with 15 consecutive wins on home ice and stretched their overall winning streak to 25 games.
Some fun facts about the streak:
– Norfolk has not lost since Feb. 5th – a 4-2 defeat in Springfield.
– The Admirals extended their regulation winning streak to 19 games, a record for active professional hockey leagues in North America.
– They’ve won 24 of 25 games during the winning streak in regulation and only one game in a shootout (Feb. 18 vs. Syracuse).
So…the AHL affiliate rips off its 25th straight win and Steve Stamkos scores his 60th goal all on the same night. Not a bad little evening for Tampa Bay, that.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 0
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)