Apr 8, 2012, 12:23 AM EDT
Even though Saturday was primarily about the National Hockey League, a pretty impressive feat was accomplished in the AHL.
The Norfolk Admirals — Tampa Bay’s minor-league affiliate — won their 25th straight game of the season with a 4-1 win over the Binghamton Senators.
With a trio of goals in the final three minutes of regulation on Saturday night, the Norfolk Admirals (52-18-1-2) downed the Binghamton Senators (28-40-4-2), 4-1, in their regular season finale in front of a sellout crowd at Norfolk Scope Arena.
With the win, the Admirals set a franchise record with 15 consecutive wins on home ice and stretched their overall winning streak to 25 games.
Some fun facts about the streak:
— Norfolk has not lost since Feb. 5th – a 4-2 defeat in Springfield.
— The Admirals extended their regulation winning streak to 19 games, a record for active professional hockey leagues in North America.
— They’ve won 24 of 25 games during the winning streak in regulation and only one game in a shootout (Feb. 18 vs. Syracuse).
So…the AHL affiliate rips off its 25th straight win and Steve Stamkos scores his 60th goal all on the same night. Not a bad little evening for Tampa Bay, that.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)