Apr 8, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks have been a fairly regular disappointment this season, yet that’s opened up a refreshing opportunity: to play the role of the underdog. Considering Todd McLellan’s comments to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz, it seems like they’re relishing the chance to play with house money.
“St. Louis is a hell of a team,” McLellan said. “They were competing right to the last day for the President’s Trophy. It hasn’t been very many series [we’ve been] the underdog, and we certainly will be that.”
“We also understand the pressure they’re under. We’ve been there. We’ve been the President’s Trophy winner, and the expectation that’s put on you is very high.”
Well played there, Todd. Well played.
The good news is that the pressure is on the Blues, who didn’t exactly finish their season on a high note. The bad news is that St. Louis has been a brutal matchup for the Sharks in 2011-12. The Blues swept the season series, collecting two shutouts while outscoring San Jose 12-3 overall.
Then again, Ken Hitchcock could spin this series in an interesting way, too. For all the wins they racked up this season, they do carry an “unproven” label that could come in hand, too.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)