Apr 8, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks have been a fairly regular disappointment this season, yet that’s opened up a refreshing opportunity: to play the role of the underdog. Considering Todd McLellan’s comments to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz, it seems like they’re relishing the chance to play with house money.
“St. Louis is a hell of a team,” McLellan said. “They were competing right to the last day for the President’s Trophy. It hasn’t been very many series [we’ve been] the underdog, and we certainly will be that.”
“We also understand the pressure they’re under. We’ve been there. We’ve been the President’s Trophy winner, and the expectation that’s put on you is very high.”
Well played there, Todd. Well played.
The good news is that the pressure is on the Blues, who didn’t exactly finish their season on a high note. The bad news is that St. Louis has been a brutal matchup for the Sharks in 2011-12. The Blues swept the season series, collecting two shutouts while outscoring San Jose 12-3 overall.
Then again, Ken Hitchcock could spin this series in an interesting way, too. For all the wins they racked up this season, they do carry an “unproven” label that could come in hand, too.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)