Apr 8, 2012, 1:02 AM EDT
It took the very last game of the 2011-12 NHL season, and it even had to go to overtime, but with the Sharks’ 3-2 victory over the Kings tonight in San Jose, all eight first-round playoff match-ups have been determined.
With the win, San Jose clinches the seventh seed in the West and will meet No. 2 St. Louis. The Sharks lost all four meetings with the Blues this season, two of them by shutout. However, with seven wins in its last nine, San Jose does go in as the hottest of the two sides, as St. Louis finished with just four wins in its last 12.
Meanwhile, No. 8 Los Angeles will take on No. 1 Vancouver. The Kings and Canucks met in the first round of the 2010 Stanley Cup playoffs with Vancouver advancing in six games. L.A. heads into the postseason with just two regulation losses in its last 14 games, so like the Sharks, the Kings have to be feeling reasonably confident. And they’ll need to be good against the Canucks, as Vancouver clinched its second straight Presidents’ Trophy tonight and has lost just once in its last nine.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 13
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)