Apr 8, 2012, 1:02 AM EST
It took the very last game of the 2011-12 NHL season, and it even had to go to overtime, but with the Sharks’ 3-2 victory over the Kings tonight in San Jose, all eight first-round playoff match-ups have been determined.
With the win, San Jose clinches the seventh seed in the West and will meet No. 2 St. Louis. The Sharks lost all four meetings with the Blues this season, two of them by shutout. However, with seven wins in its last nine, San Jose does go in as the hottest of the two sides, as St. Louis finished with just four wins in its last 12.
Meanwhile, No. 8 Los Angeles will take on No. 1 Vancouver. The Kings and Canucks met in the first round of the 2010 Stanley Cup playoffs with Vancouver advancing in six games. L.A. heads into the postseason with just two regulation losses in its last 14 games, so like the Sharks, the Kings have to be feeling reasonably confident. And they’ll need to be good against the Canucks, as Vancouver clinched its second straight Presidents’ Trophy tonight and has lost just once in its last nine.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 2
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 9
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 11
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 40
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)