Apr 8, 2012, 9:47 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens will soon name Serge Savard their senior vice-president of hockey operations, Radio Canada’s Martin Leclerc is reporting.
The Habs have yet to hire a new general manager to replace Pierre Gauthier, but when they do, he’ll report to Savard.
Savard, in turn, will report to owner Geoff Molson, theoretically creating a buffer between ownership and hockey ops.
Savard, 66, was the general manager of two Stanley Cup-winning Canadiens teams (1986, 1993).
For his take on the news, here’s the Montreal Gazette’s long-time hockey writer, Red Fisher:
Savard would name the general manager and also have the final word on the new head coach – as general managers always do. And knowing Savard as I do, he’d allow his general manager to have all kinds of output in the selection, but my great and good friend would have the final word. He insists on it in everything he does.
Would that bring Patrick Roy’s name to mind? I don’t think so, even though Savard is a big fan of the goaltender who brought Stanley Cups to the team in 1986 and 1993 – after GM Savard brought Patrick to the Canadiens in ’86.
Savard knows that Roy is an excitable guy … that he often makes decisions of the moment he might regret later.
It’s at this point we should probably mention that Savard has denied the report and that Leclerc is the same guy who a few weeks ago reported (sort of) that Roy had been offered the Habs’ coaching job.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)