Apr 8, 2012, 9:47 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens will soon name Serge Savard their senior vice-president of hockey operations, Radio Canada’s Martin Leclerc is reporting.
The Habs have yet to hire a new general manager to replace Pierre Gauthier, but when they do, he’ll report to Savard.
Savard, in turn, will report to owner Geoff Molson, theoretically creating a buffer between ownership and hockey ops.
Savard, 66, was the general manager of two Stanley Cup-winning Canadiens teams (1986, 1993).
For his take on the news, here’s the Montreal Gazette’s long-time hockey writer, Red Fisher:
Savard would name the general manager and also have the final word on the new head coach – as general managers always do. And knowing Savard as I do, he’d allow his general manager to have all kinds of output in the selection, but my great and good friend would have the final word. He insists on it in everything he does.
Would that bring Patrick Roy’s name to mind? I don’t think so, even though Savard is a big fan of the goaltender who brought Stanley Cups to the team in 1986 and 1993 – after GM Savard brought Patrick to the Canadiens in ’86.
Savard knows that Roy is an excitable guy … that he often makes decisions of the moment he might regret later.
It’s at this point we should probably mention that Savard has denied the report and that Leclerc is the same guy who a few weeks ago reported (sort of) that Roy had been offered the Habs’ coaching job.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 0
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 6
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)