Apr 8, 2012, 9:47 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens will soon name Serge Savard their senior vice-president of hockey operations, Radio Canada’s Martin Leclerc is reporting.
The Habs have yet to hire a new general manager to replace Pierre Gauthier, but when they do, he’ll report to Savard.
Savard, in turn, will report to owner Geoff Molson, theoretically creating a buffer between ownership and hockey ops.
Savard, 66, was the general manager of two Stanley Cup-winning Canadiens teams (1986, 1993).
For his take on the news, here’s the Montreal Gazette’s long-time hockey writer, Red Fisher:
Savard would name the general manager and also have the final word on the new head coach – as general managers always do. And knowing Savard as I do, he’d allow his general manager to have all kinds of output in the selection, but my great and good friend would have the final word. He insists on it in everything he does.
Would that bring Patrick Roy’s name to mind? I don’t think so, even though Savard is a big fan of the goaltender who brought Stanley Cups to the team in 1986 and 1993 – after GM Savard brought Patrick to the Canadiens in ’86.
Savard knows that Roy is an excitable guy … that he often makes decisions of the moment he might regret later.
It’s at this point we should probably mention that Savard has denied the report and that Leclerc is the same guy who a few weeks ago reported (sort of) that Roy had been offered the Habs’ coaching job.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)