Apr 8, 2012, 9:47 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens will soon name Serge Savard their senior vice-president of hockey operations, Radio Canada’s Martin Leclerc is reporting.
The Habs have yet to hire a new general manager to replace Pierre Gauthier, but when they do, he’ll report to Savard.
Savard, in turn, will report to owner Geoff Molson, theoretically creating a buffer between ownership and hockey ops.
Savard, 66, was the general manager of two Stanley Cup-winning Canadiens teams (1986, 1993).
For his take on the news, here’s the Montreal Gazette’s long-time hockey writer, Red Fisher:
Savard would name the general manager and also have the final word on the new head coach – as general managers always do. And knowing Savard as I do, he’d allow his general manager to have all kinds of output in the selection, but my great and good friend would have the final word. He insists on it in everything he does.
Would that bring Patrick Roy’s name to mind? I don’t think so, even though Savard is a big fan of the goaltender who brought Stanley Cups to the team in 1986 and 1993 – after GM Savard brought Patrick to the Canadiens in ’86.
Savard knows that Roy is an excitable guy … that he often makes decisions of the moment he might regret later.
It’s at this point we should probably mention that Savard has denied the report and that Leclerc is the same guy who a few weeks ago reported (sort of) that Roy had been offered the Habs’ coaching job.
- Here’s an (updated) list of available NHL coaching candidates 1
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 21
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 85
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 60
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 98
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (98)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (86)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months