Apr 8, 2012, 9:47 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens will soon name Serge Savard their senior vice-president of hockey operations, Radio Canada’s Martin Leclerc is reporting.
The Habs have yet to hire a new general manager to replace Pierre Gauthier, but when they do, he’ll report to Savard.
Savard, in turn, will report to owner Geoff Molson, theoretically creating a buffer between ownership and hockey ops.
Savard, 66, was the general manager of two Stanley Cup-winning Canadiens teams (1986, 1993).
For his take on the news, here’s the Montreal Gazette’s long-time hockey writer, Red Fisher:
Savard would name the general manager and also have the final word on the new head coach – as general managers always do. And knowing Savard as I do, he’d allow his general manager to have all kinds of output in the selection, but my great and good friend would have the final word. He insists on it in everything he does.
Would that bring Patrick Roy’s name to mind? I don’t think so, even though Savard is a big fan of the goaltender who brought Stanley Cups to the team in 1986 and 1993 – after GM Savard brought Patrick to the Canadiens in ’86.
Savard knows that Roy is an excitable guy … that he often makes decisions of the moment he might regret later.
It’s at this point we should probably mention that Savard has denied the report and that Leclerc is the same guy who a few weeks ago reported (sort of) that Roy had been offered the Habs’ coaching job.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)