Apr 8, 2012, 9:35 PM EDT
According to the Calgary Sun’s Eric Francis, Flames ownership and management will discuss the possibility of moving captain Jarome Iginla as the club considers its options after missing the playoffs for the third straight season.
For the first time since Iginla was nothing more than a good, young prospect in the organization, the captain’s future with the franchise will, in fact, be heavily debated when the owners gather with Ken King to hear how GM Jay Feaster plans to map out the team’s future.
When Feaster says the organization needs to be intellectually honest about where it is and where it is heading, he is referring to the fact that nothing and no one is sacred anymore.
For the first time in ages, that includes Iginla.
Yesterday, Iginla said he had “no idea” what the future holds for him in Calgary, adding, “Do I want to be on a team where we’re going to fully rebuild? I don’t know that I do.”
Iginla, 34, has one year left on a contract that features a $7 million cap hit. He does have a no-movement clause, but based on his comments, he’s not dead set against a trade depending on the scenario.
There’s still lots of hockey left in Iginla. His 32 goals were the 19th most in the NHL, not to mention all the other things he brings to a team like leadership, toughness and experience.
What’s unknown is the price he’d command in a trade, and also who might be interested. Iginla’s done a lot in his career; however, he’s never won a Stanley Cup, so if the Flames decide to tear it down and start over, presumably he’d want to go to a contender.
Boston? St. Louis? Los Angeles? Detroit? Washington? You could make a case for each, and more.
If he’s indeed available, there won’t be any shortage of interested parties.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)