Apr 8, 2012, 9:08 AM EST
Evgeni Malkin scored 50 goals and registered 59 assists in 75 games this season to do what the Pittsburgh Penguins seem to do best: win the Art Ross Trophy. Over the last 24 seasons, a Penguins player has claimed the scoring title 14 times. Of course, it helps when you have employed Sidney Crosby (one Art Trophy Trophy win), Malkin (two), Jaromir Jagr (five), and Mario Lemieux (six) over that stretch.
So who is second in the league in scoring titles over the last 24 seasons? The Los Angeles Kings with three. The Vancouver Canucks come in third with the back-to-back scoring titles from Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin.
In fact, Pittsburgh’s recent success is so impressive, that if we expand the list to start with when the trophy debut in 1947-48 – about 20 years before the Penguins franchise even played in its first game – there is still no team that comes close. The Montreal Canadiens are in second place with nine Art Ross Trophy wins.
Given that Crosby and Malkin are still pretty young, it’s not hard to picture a scenario where the Penguins add to their lead by winning another scoring title over the next several years.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)