Apr 8, 2012, 9:08 AM EDT
Evgeni Malkin scored 50 goals and registered 59 assists in 75 games this season to do what the Pittsburgh Penguins seem to do best: win the Art Ross Trophy. Over the last 24 seasons, a Penguins player has claimed the scoring title 14 times. Of course, it helps when you have employed Sidney Crosby (one Art Trophy Trophy win), Malkin (two), Jaromir Jagr (five), and Mario Lemieux (six) over that stretch.
So who is second in the league in scoring titles over the last 24 seasons? The Los Angeles Kings with three. The Vancouver Canucks come in third with the back-to-back scoring titles from Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin.
In fact, Pittsburgh’s recent success is so impressive, that if we expand the list to start with when the trophy debut in 1947-48 – about 20 years before the Penguins franchise even played in its first game – there is still no team that comes close. The Montreal Canadiens are in second place with nine Art Ross Trophy wins.
Given that Crosby and Malkin are still pretty young, it’s not hard to picture a scenario where the Penguins add to their lead by winning another scoring title over the next several years.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)