Apr 8, 2012, 9:08 AM EDT
Evgeni Malkin scored 50 goals and registered 59 assists in 75 games this season to do what the Pittsburgh Penguins seem to do best: win the Art Ross Trophy. Over the last 24 seasons, a Penguins player has claimed the scoring title 14 times. Of course, it helps when you have employed Sidney Crosby (one Art Trophy Trophy win), Malkin (two), Jaromir Jagr (five), and Mario Lemieux (six) over that stretch.
So who is second in the league in scoring titles over the last 24 seasons? The Los Angeles Kings with three. The Vancouver Canucks come in third with the back-to-back scoring titles from Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin.
In fact, Pittsburgh’s recent success is so impressive, that if we expand the list to start with when the trophy debut in 1947-48 – about 20 years before the Penguins franchise even played in its first game – there is still no team that comes close. The Montreal Canadiens are in second place with nine Art Ross Trophy wins.
Given that Crosby and Malkin are still pretty young, it’s not hard to picture a scenario where the Penguins add to their lead by winning another scoring title over the next several years.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 38
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 34
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (40)