Apr 8, 2012, 9:08 AM EDT
Evgeni Malkin scored 50 goals and registered 59 assists in 75 games this season to do what the Pittsburgh Penguins seem to do best: win the Art Ross Trophy. Over the last 24 seasons, a Penguins player has claimed the scoring title 14 times. Of course, it helps when you have employed Sidney Crosby (one Art Trophy Trophy win), Malkin (two), Jaromir Jagr (five), and Mario Lemieux (six) over that stretch.
So who is second in the league in scoring titles over the last 24 seasons? The Los Angeles Kings with three. The Vancouver Canucks come in third with the back-to-back scoring titles from Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin.
In fact, Pittsburgh’s recent success is so impressive, that if we expand the list to start with when the trophy debut in 1947-48 – about 20 years before the Penguins franchise even played in its first game – there is still no team that comes close. The Montreal Canadiens are in second place with nine Art Ross Trophy wins.
Given that Crosby and Malkin are still pretty young, it’s not hard to picture a scenario where the Penguins add to their lead by winning another scoring title over the next several years.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)