Apr 8, 2012, 9:08 AM EDT
Evgeni Malkin scored 50 goals and registered 59 assists in 75 games this season to do what the Pittsburgh Penguins seem to do best: win the Art Ross Trophy. Over the last 24 seasons, a Penguins player has claimed the scoring title 14 times. Of course, it helps when you have employed Sidney Crosby (one Art Trophy Trophy win), Malkin (two), Jaromir Jagr (five), and Mario Lemieux (six) over that stretch.
So who is second in the league in scoring titles over the last 24 seasons? The Los Angeles Kings with three. The Vancouver Canucks come in third with the back-to-back scoring titles from Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin.
In fact, Pittsburgh’s recent success is so impressive, that if we expand the list to start with when the trophy debut in 1947-48 – about 20 years before the Penguins franchise even played in its first game – there is still no team that comes close. The Montreal Canadiens are in second place with nine Art Ross Trophy wins.
Given that Crosby and Malkin are still pretty young, it’s not hard to picture a scenario where the Penguins add to their lead by winning another scoring title over the next several years.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)