Apr 7, 2012, 5:56 PM EDT
Tonight’s Washington Capitals-New York Rangers game is more significant for the Caps than the Blueshirts, but John Tortorella admits that it means something.
Not long after dismissing the power of the Presidents’ Trophy, Tortorella admitted to Katie Strang and others that “I want to win that trophy.”
Torts was finally forthcoming about a pursuit that he previously downplayed, but he wisely bit his tongue about the $20,000 fine he received for his candid remarks about the Pittsburgh Penguins’ “(blanking) superstars.”
When asked if there was anything he’d like to say regarding the fine, he responded:
When asked if there was anything he felt he COULD say regarding the fan, he said the same:
I think we should all take a moment and appreciate the fact that Tortorella can ham it up in a big market like New York. The rambunctious head coach just seems perfect for the Big Apple – at least when it comes to our collective entertainment.
In more hockey-centric and less drama-centric news, Strang reports that Henrik Lundqvist will be back in the Rangers lineup tonight. Lundqvist raised a few eyebrows (and heart rates) when he needed to sit out a while with a “stiff” arm but being able to play tonight is a good chance for him to get his rhythm back a bit for the playoffs.
(It’s also huge news if you have King Henrik in a fantasy league.)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)