Apr 7, 2012, 5:56 PM EDT
Tonight’s Washington Capitals-New York Rangers game is more significant for the Caps than the Blueshirts, but John Tortorella admits that it means something.
Not long after dismissing the power of the Presidents’ Trophy, Tortorella admitted to Katie Strang and others that “I want to win that trophy.”
Torts was finally forthcoming about a pursuit that he previously downplayed, but he wisely bit his tongue about the $20,000 fine he received for his candid remarks about the Pittsburgh Penguins’ “(blanking) superstars.”
When asked if there was anything he’d like to say regarding the fine, he responded:
When asked if there was anything he felt he COULD say regarding the fan, he said the same:
I think we should all take a moment and appreciate the fact that Tortorella can ham it up in a big market like New York. The rambunctious head coach just seems perfect for the Big Apple – at least when it comes to our collective entertainment.
In more hockey-centric and less drama-centric news, Strang reports that Henrik Lundqvist will be back in the Rangers lineup tonight. Lundqvist raised a few eyebrows (and heart rates) when he needed to sit out a while with a “stiff” arm but being able to play tonight is a good chance for him to get his rhythm back a bit for the playoffs.
(It’s also huge news if you have King Henrik in a fantasy league.)
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 0
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 21
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 17
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 13
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)