Apr 7, 2012, 9:18 AM EDT
Most Blackhawks fans probably think Chicago’s better off losing to Detroit on Saturday (1:00 p.m ET, NBC) and thus finishing the season with the sixth seed. After all, the third seed will go against the Pacific Division winner, who will have an inferior record to Chicago. However, if Chicago does beat Detroit in regulation time, then the Blackhawks will finish in fifth place and be forced to play an arguably tougher Nashville Predators squad. That might not appeal to some, but Viktor Stalberg thinks playing the Predators instead of the Pacific Division winner in the first round might not be a bad thing.
“You guys talk about staying away from Nashville, but I don’t know if that would be that bad. I wouldn’t mind playing a team a little closer,” said Viktor Stalberg. “It takes a toll on your body, going out west. If you’re going to win, you’re going to have to go through some good teams, no matter what the round. I don’t think anyone just wants to get by the first round. From my own preference, it would be to play a team that’s closer.”
He’s of course right when he says that the team will eventually have to face some tough opponents if they want to win the Stanley Cup. Getting the fifth seed over the sixth might not look like the best option in the short term, but playing against a closer opponent and owning a higher seed might help them in the long run.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 7
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9