Apr 7, 2012, 6:26 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils didn’t have much to play for on Saturday, but their 4-2 win against the Ottawa Senators made tonight more interesting – especially for the Washington Capitals.
To keep things simple, here are the scenarios for the Capitals, whose game against the New York Rangers airs on NBC Sports Network tonight:
Washington could win the third seed if: the Capitals win and the Florida Panthers (at Carolina) lose in regulation.
Capitals could move up to seventh place if: they beat the Rangers in regulation, overtime or via a shootout. (Washington holds tiebreaker advantages against Ottawa.)
Capitals would stay in eighth place if: Florida gains one point, Washington fails to win or both. (The Capitals hold a tiebreaker advantage over the Panthers but Florida has a two-point lead.)
In other words, there’s plenty to play for tonight. And if you ask John Tortorella, the Presidents’ Trophy is worth something to the Rangers, so don’t expect New York to roll over at Madison Square Garden.
(Note: if Washington does win the Southeast Division, Ottawa would remain in seventh place while Florida would take the eighth seed.)
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 7
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)