Apr 7, 2012, 4:14 PM EDT
Well, it was awfully close to being Chicago vs. Nashville in the first round of the playoffs, but (to paraphrase Dennis Green) the West’s No. 4 vs. No. 5 seed matchup is what we thought it would be. The fourth-seed Nashville Predators are set to host the fifth-seed Detroit Red Wings. Here are a few thoughts to warm you up:
- It’s no secret that the Red Wings struggle on the road. While they’re home record (31-7-3) is the best in the NHL, the Red Wings are just 17-21-3 on the road. Only the Washington Capitals (15-21-4, seriously) are worse when it comes to playoff teams. Can Detroit overcome that enough to win the series?
- The Predators are carrying the feeling of a franchise that’s ready to take the so-called “Next Step.” They won their first series last year, come in with all the Alex Radulov buzz and quietly put up a little more offense this season. Do they have the stuff for a deep run? Would this season be a huge letdown if they fall to Detroit?
This series has a lot to love. Original Six franchise takes on what might be the definition of a “non-traditional” market. Some will grumble that Shea Weber and Ryan Suter might be auditioning for a future job with Detroit while others might wonder if winning or losing this series could determine that future. A few might even look at this as a matchup between a high-powered Red Wings offense and a meticulously crafted defensive force in Nashville.
What do you think, though? Share some early thoughts on the series – we’ll have plenty more once previews and other good stuff rolls around.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 0
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 23
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15