Apr 7, 2012, 4:14 PM EDT
Well, it was awfully close to being Chicago vs. Nashville in the first round of the playoffs, but (to paraphrase Dennis Green) the West’s No. 4 vs. No. 5 seed matchup is what we thought it would be. The fourth-seed Nashville Predators are set to host the fifth-seed Detroit Red Wings. Here are a few thoughts to warm you up:
- It’s no secret that the Red Wings struggle on the road. While they’re home record (31-7-3) is the best in the NHL, the Red Wings are just 17-21-3 on the road. Only the Washington Capitals (15-21-4, seriously) are worse when it comes to playoff teams. Can Detroit overcome that enough to win the series?
- The Predators are carrying the feeling of a franchise that’s ready to take the so-called “Next Step.” They won their first series last year, come in with all the Alex Radulov buzz and quietly put up a little more offense this season. Do they have the stuff for a deep run? Would this season be a huge letdown if they fall to Detroit?
This series has a lot to love. Original Six franchise takes on what might be the definition of a “non-traditional” market. Some will grumble that Shea Weber and Ryan Suter might be auditioning for a future job with Detroit while others might wonder if winning or losing this series could determine that future. A few might even look at this as a matchup between a high-powered Red Wings offense and a meticulously crafted defensive force in Nashville.
What do you think, though? Share some early thoughts on the series – we’ll have plenty more once previews and other good stuff rolls around.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 13
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 8
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 7
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 31
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)