Apr 7, 2012, 4:26 PM EST
The shootout is a sporting occurrence that, to many, divides hardcore hockey fans from casual ones.* Yet let’s make this much clear: only the crankiest purists sat with their arms folded when Pavel Datsyuk and Patrick Kane provided a round of “Anything you can do, I can do better” in what would eventually be a 3-2 win for the Chicago Blackhawks.
(Of course, the Detroit Red Wings got the last laugh/be-careful-what-you-wish-for draw of the Nashville Predators by squeaking into OT.)
First, check out video of Datsyuk’s “failed” attempt – seriously, it’s hard for me to call that a failure – which set the stage for Kane’s response:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
If you were watching the game live, you were probably thinking the same thing: what will Kane have up his sleeve after that brilliant bit of stick work? Delightfully enough, Kane was up to the task, as you can see from his successful and spellbinding response below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It’s kind of hard to totally despise the “skills competition” when it puts that kind of skill on display, isn’t it?
* – I don’t think it’s that simple, but you could make the argument.
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 0
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 8
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15