Apr 7, 2012, 4:26 PM EST
The shootout is a sporting occurrence that, to many, divides hardcore hockey fans from casual ones.* Yet let’s make this much clear: only the crankiest purists sat with their arms folded when Pavel Datsyuk and Patrick Kane provided a round of “Anything you can do, I can do better” in what would eventually be a 3-2 win for the Chicago Blackhawks.
(Of course, the Detroit Red Wings got the last laugh/be-careful-what-you-wish-for draw of the Nashville Predators by squeaking into OT.)
First, check out video of Datsyuk’s “failed” attempt – seriously, it’s hard for me to call that a failure – which set the stage for Kane’s response:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
If you were watching the game live, you were probably thinking the same thing: what will Kane have up his sleeve after that brilliant bit of stick work? Delightfully enough, Kane was up to the task, as you can see from his successful and spellbinding response below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It’s kind of hard to totally despise the “skills competition” when it puts that kind of skill on display, isn’t it?
* – I don’t think it’s that simple, but you could make the argument.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5