Apr 7, 2012, 8:41 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames find themselves outside the playoffs for a third consecutive season (and you could argue that they’ve been out of legitimate contention for quite a bit longer). Any reasonable person connected to the team would have some soul searching to do, so perhaps it makes sense that the face of the franchise has a furrowed brow.
“I have no idea; I don’t know what next year holds,” Iginla said. “Do I want to be on a team where we’re going to fully rebuild. I don’t know that I do.”
In a way, those quotes almost read like what his exact inner monologue might sound like.
To some, it seems like things keep dragging on with Iginla and the Flames, but it’s easy to overlook how deep his roots really are. Ever since being traded from the Dallas Stars, he’s been a fixture in Calgary since the 1996-97 season.
Iginla’s production has been up-and-down the past few years. From 2006-09, he had 94, 98 and 89-point seasons. Iginla dipped in 2009-10 with 69 points, rose last season with 86 and then went back down to 67 this year.
Considering the top-heavy nature of that team, that’s not enough to get the postseason. Iginla took the blame in that regard, yet most people would probably agree that he’s needed more help for some time.
In case you’re wondering, Iginla has one more season remaining on his current contract. The final year of a deal is often one of the most manageable for good deck-clearing trades, but that would involve a major, painful step.
So that brings us to the big questions: should the Flames trade Iginla? Should Iginla ask for a trade?
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury (Updated) 8
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 26
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)