Apr 7, 2012, 5:11 PM EST
Whether they face the New York Rangers, Boston Bruins or even New Jersey Devils, it’s unlikely that the Washington Capitals will strike a ton of fear into their opponents. That’s especially true if they wade into that battle with third-string goalie Braden Holtby in net, but the latest Michal Neuvirth injury update leaves that forecast cloudy.
The Washington Post’s Katie Carrera caught up with head coach Dale Hunter, who was about as vague as you could be.
“He’s just day-to-day,” Hunter said. “It’s not bad.”
Anyone trying to make playoff predictions, trying to study tape of Capitals goalies or anything in between probably uttered a bitter sigh right now. If you’ve followed hockey injuries for a decent amount of time, you know that “day-to-day” could mean just about anything. Sure, the implication is that it isn’t bad, but the playoffs are only four days away, so a more exact window would be nice.
Then again, having to prepare more substantially for two goalies rather than one could give the Caps a subtle edge – which means something since many would argue that they don’t own a whole lot of those.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)