Apr 7, 2012, 5:11 PM EDT
Whether they face the New York Rangers, Boston Bruins or even New Jersey Devils, it’s unlikely that the Washington Capitals will strike a ton of fear into their opponents. That’s especially true if they wade into that battle with third-string goalie Braden Holtby in net, but the latest Michal Neuvirth injury update leaves that forecast cloudy.
The Washington Post’s Katie Carrera caught up with head coach Dale Hunter, who was about as vague as you could be.
“He’s just day-to-day,” Hunter said. “It’s not bad.”
Anyone trying to make playoff predictions, trying to study tape of Capitals goalies or anything in between probably uttered a bitter sigh right now. If you’ve followed hockey injuries for a decent amount of time, you know that “day-to-day” could mean just about anything. Sure, the implication is that it isn’t bad, but the playoffs are only four days away, so a more exact window would be nice.
Then again, having to prepare more substantially for two goalies rather than one could give the Caps a subtle edge – which means something since many would argue that they don’t own a whole lot of those.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)