Apr 7, 2012, 5:11 PM EDT
Whether they face the New York Rangers, Boston Bruins or even New Jersey Devils, it’s unlikely that the Washington Capitals will strike a ton of fear into their opponents. That’s especially true if they wade into that battle with third-string goalie Braden Holtby in net, but the latest Michal Neuvirth injury update leaves that forecast cloudy.
The Washington Post’s Katie Carrera caught up with head coach Dale Hunter, who was about as vague as you could be.
“He’s just day-to-day,” Hunter said. “It’s not bad.”
Anyone trying to make playoff predictions, trying to study tape of Capitals goalies or anything in between probably uttered a bitter sigh right now. If you’ve followed hockey injuries for a decent amount of time, you know that “day-to-day” could mean just about anything. Sure, the implication is that it isn’t bad, but the playoffs are only four days away, so a more exact window would be nice.
Then again, having to prepare more substantially for two goalies rather than one could give the Caps a subtle edge – which means something since many would argue that they don’t own a whole lot of those.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)