Apr 7, 2012, 11:50 AM EST
The Red Wings are hoping a little rest will go a long way for Dan Cleary.
That’s the plan, anyway, as Detroit will hold the 33-year-old right winger out of today’s regular season finale against Chicago (1 p.m. ET, NBC.) Wings GM Ken Holland told the Detroit Free Press that Cleary “is out [for Chicago] but will play Game 1,” suggesting that Saturday is a maintenance day for the veteran forward, who has slogged through an injury-riddled campaign.
More, from the Free Press’ Helene St. James:
Cleary has had a trying season. He sustained a rib injury during the exhibition season that took about six months to fully heal. Then he re-aggravated his surgically repaired left knee in mid-November, and while originally it was believed it could be treated without surgery, the pain got worse and worse. Over the past two months, he’s had the knee drained several times and had at least three gel injections in his knee in hopes of offsetting the bone-on-bone grind.
Speaking to Cleary last month, he estimated he has been pain-free for all of a week, and said he’ll have surgery as soon as the season ends. A common sight after games is to see him with a giant ice bag taped around the knee. He hasn’t not walked gingerly in ages.
Clearly last played on Wednesday (in a 3-2 shootout win over St. Louis) and by skipping the Blackhawks game, he’ll get almost a full week’s rest prior to the start of the playoffs (which open on Apr. 11.) That’s huge, because the Wings will need Cleary come playoff time. He’s one of the team’s most veteran postseason performers — 42 points in 102 career games — and was huge during Detroit’s last Stanley Cup run, finishing with 15 points in 23 games and a league-best plus-17 rating.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)