Apr 7, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
For the second straight day, a playoff-bound team has signed an impending unrestricted free agent.
Today, it was the Chicago Blackhawks inking goalie Ray Emery to a one-year, $1.5 million extension. The deal comes a day after Philadelphia re-upped with defenseman Nicklas Grossmann on a four-year, $14 million deal.
Emery, 29, has compiled a 15-9-4 record, 2.81 goals-against average and .902 save percentage in 34 appearances this season. He’s mostly backed up Corey Crawford this year but has battled for Chicago’s No. 1 gig, recording an impressive 10-0-3 record at the United Center.
Last season, Emery was a finalist for the Masterton Trophy — awarded annually to the player best exemplifying the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey — by returning to the NHL after undergoing surgery for a right hip injury that required a bone graft.
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 0
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 21
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 11
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 67
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 23
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination