Apr 7, 2012, 10:05 AM EDT
As previously reported, netminder Michal Neuvirth was scheduled to see a doctor Friday afternoon after suffering a lower body injury on Thursday. The results of that examination aren’t known, but it looks like Neuvirth probably won’t play on Saturday. The Washington Capitals summoned Dany Sabourin Friday night so that he would be available for Saturday’s game.
With Tomas Vokoun also sidelined, the Capitals are projected to start Braden Holtby and use Dany Sabourin as their backup. In other words, Washington will finish out the season with the AHL Hershey Bears’ goaltending tandem.
Washington will play the first place New York Rangers on Saturday in a game that will be a playoff preview if the Rangers win. If Washington wins and the Florida Panthers lose in regulation time, then Washington will claim the Southeast Division and the third seed. In that scenario, they will have home ice advantage against the New Jersey Devils in the first round. Alternatively, If Washington wins, Florida picks up at least one point in their season finale, and Ottawa loses in regulation time, then the Capitals will take the seventh seed and play the Boston Bruins in the first round.
The New York Rangers have already locked up the top seed in the Eastern Conference, but they’re still fighting for the Presidents’ Trophy. A win against the Capitals on Saturday would lock it up, not to mention ensure that they start the playoffs against a team that might have two injured goalies going into the first round.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (63)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)