Apr 7, 2012, 11:54 PM EST
Brian Elliott put his name in the history books on Saturday without even playing a game.
By giving way to Jaroslav Halak in St. Louis’ season finale — the Blues beat the Stars 3-2 in Dallas — Elliott finished the year with a sparking 1.56 goals-against average, the lowest mark of the modern era. Elliott broke Calgary netminder Miikka Kiprusoff‘s 2003-04 record of 1.69.
To put Elliott’s mark in perspective, consider that 1.56 is tied for the 19th-lowest mark in the history of the NHL, tying him with the goals-against average Frank Brimsek had for the Boston Bruins in 1938-39.
(The lowest ever is George Hainsworth’s 0.92, which he posted for Montreal in 1928-29).
This modern-day record is just the latest in what’s been a career year for Elliott, 26. He made his first All-Star game, captured his first Jennings Trophy (along with Halak), led the NHL in GAA and save percentage (.940) and finished second among all goalies with nine shutouts.
Not bad for a guy St. Louis signed to a one-year, two-way deal worth $600,000, huh?
(FYI: The NHL’s “modern era” is regarded as 1992 and beyond.)
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 9
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)