Apr 7, 2012, 11:54 PM EST
Brian Elliott put his name in the history books on Saturday without even playing a game.
By giving way to Jaroslav Halak in St. Louis’ season finale — the Blues beat the Stars 3-2 in Dallas — Elliott finished the year with a sparking 1.56 goals-against average, the lowest mark of the modern era. Elliott broke Calgary netminder Miikka Kiprusoff‘s 2003-04 record of 1.69.
To put Elliott’s mark in perspective, consider that 1.56 is tied for the 19th-lowest mark in the history of the NHL, tying him with the goals-against average Frank Brimsek had for the Boston Bruins in 1938-39.
(The lowest ever is George Hainsworth’s 0.92, which he posted for Montreal in 1928-29).
This modern-day record is just the latest in what’s been a career year for Elliott, 26. He made his first All-Star game, captured his first Jennings Trophy (along with Halak), led the NHL in GAA and save percentage (.940) and finished second among all goalies with nine shutouts.
Not bad for a guy St. Louis signed to a one-year, two-way deal worth $600,000, huh?
(FYI: The NHL’s “modern era” is regarded as 1992 and beyond.)
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 0
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 5
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 14
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 11
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)