Apr 7, 2012, 11:54 PM EST
Brian Elliott put his name in the history books on Saturday without even playing a game.
By giving way to Jaroslav Halak in St. Louis’ season finale — the Blues beat the Stars 3-2 in Dallas — Elliott finished the year with a sparking 1.56 goals-against average, the lowest mark of the modern era. Elliott broke Calgary netminder Miikka Kiprusoff‘s 2003-04 record of 1.69.
To put Elliott’s mark in perspective, consider that 1.56 is tied for the 19th-lowest mark in the history of the NHL, tying him with the goals-against average Frank Brimsek had for the Boston Bruins in 1938-39.
(The lowest ever is George Hainsworth’s 0.92, which he posted for Montreal in 1928-29).
This modern-day record is just the latest in what’s been a career year for Elliott, 26. He made his first All-Star game, captured his first Jennings Trophy (along with Halak), led the NHL in GAA and save percentage (.940) and finished second among all goalies with nine shutouts.
Not bad for a guy St. Louis signed to a one-year, two-way deal worth $600,000, huh?
(FYI: The NHL’s “modern era” is regarded as 1992 and beyond.)
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)