Apr 7, 2012, 11:54 PM EDT
Brian Elliott put his name in the history books on Saturday without even playing a game.
By giving way to Jaroslav Halak in St. Louis’ season finale — the Blues beat the Stars 3-2 in Dallas — Elliott finished the year with a sparking 1.56 goals-against average, the lowest mark of the modern era. Elliott broke Calgary netminder Miikka Kiprusoff‘s 2003-04 record of 1.69.
To put Elliott’s mark in perspective, consider that 1.56 is tied for the 19th-lowest mark in the history of the NHL, tying him with the goals-against average Frank Brimsek had for the Boston Bruins in 1938-39.
(The lowest ever is George Hainsworth’s 0.92, which he posted for Montreal in 1928-29).
This modern-day record is just the latest in what’s been a career year for Elliott, 26. He made his first All-Star game, captured his first Jennings Trophy (along with Halak), led the NHL in GAA and save percentage (.940) and finished second among all goalies with nine shutouts.
Not bad for a guy St. Louis signed to a one-year, two-way deal worth $600,000, huh?
(FYI: The NHL’s “modern era” is regarded as 1992 and beyond.)
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 21
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)