Apr 7, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Losing Ilya Bryzgalov over the summer was supposed to be a huge blow to the Phoenix Coyotes. He was one of the main reasons Phoenix made the playoffs in 2009-10 and 2010-11. However, the Coyotes have advanced to the first round for the third straight season, thanks in large part to the rise of Mike Smith. Smith was coming off two rough campaigns in Tampa Bay, but he’s been among the league’s top goaltenders in 2011-12.
That’s part of the reason Barry Melrose chose Smith as his Mullet of the Year winner for someone who greatly surpassed expectations. You can view his full explanation below.
Of course, for the Coyotes, the next question is how Smith will do in the postseason. Phoenix got booted out of the playoffs in the first round in its last two attempts. Smith has only started in one NHL playoff game so far in his career.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 15
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 8
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)