Apr 6, 2012, 11:20 AM EST
Late in the third period of Thursday’s 3-1 loss to Boston, Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean decided he’d seen enough.
Of what, we’re not sure — the game had less drama than a high school production of Grease — but it was a final-minute icing call that put MacLean over the edge.
So, Paul, care to explain what you said that led to an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and ejection?
More, from the Globe and Mail:
“I can’t afford it,” he said.
It’s safe to assume that salty language was at issue – MacLean disagreed with a late icing call with his squad pressing for a goal, and said so in no uncertain terms.
“I thought it was an attainable pass, so the icing should have been waved off . . . I thought it was similar to a lot of the ones that were waved off. But I’ve never understood the rule,” he said with a half-smile.
It should be noted that MacLean appeared to be the only member of either team caught up in the “heat” (using that term loosely) of yesterday’s affair.
Sens captain Daniel Alfredsson said “the intensity from either team today wasn’t close to being a playoff kind of intensity,” while Boston’s Milan Lucic added, “to be honest it almost seemed like no one wanted to get hurt.”
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 40
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)