Apr 6, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
Late in the third period of Thursday’s 3-1 loss to Boston, Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean decided he’d seen enough.
Of what, we’re not sure — the game had less drama than a high school production of Grease — but it was a final-minute icing call that put MacLean over the edge.
So, Paul, care to explain what you said that led to an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and ejection?
More, from the Globe and Mail:
“I can’t afford it,” he said.
It’s safe to assume that salty language was at issue – MacLean disagreed with a late icing call with his squad pressing for a goal, and said so in no uncertain terms.
“I thought it was an attainable pass, so the icing should have been waved off . . . I thought it was similar to a lot of the ones that were waved off. But I’ve never understood the rule,” he said with a half-smile.
It should be noted that MacLean appeared to be the only member of either team caught up in the “heat” (using that term loosely) of yesterday’s affair.
Sens captain Daniel Alfredsson said “the intensity from either team today wasn’t close to being a playoff kind of intensity,” while Boston’s Milan Lucic added, “to be honest it almost seemed like no one wanted to get hurt.”
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 37
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (90)