Apr 6, 2012, 11:20 AM EST
Late in the third period of Thursday’s 3-1 loss to Boston, Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean decided he’d seen enough.
Of what, we’re not sure — the game had less drama than a high school production of Grease — but it was a final-minute icing call that put MacLean over the edge.
So, Paul, care to explain what you said that led to an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and ejection?
More, from the Globe and Mail:
“I can’t afford it,” he said.
It’s safe to assume that salty language was at issue – MacLean disagreed with a late icing call with his squad pressing for a goal, and said so in no uncertain terms.
“I thought it was an attainable pass, so the icing should have been waved off . . . I thought it was similar to a lot of the ones that were waved off. But I’ve never understood the rule,” he said with a half-smile.
It should be noted that MacLean appeared to be the only member of either team caught up in the “heat” (using that term loosely) of yesterday’s affair.
Sens captain Daniel Alfredsson said “the intensity from either team today wasn’t close to being a playoff kind of intensity,” while Boston’s Milan Lucic added, “to be honest it almost seemed like no one wanted to get hurt.”
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)