Apr 6, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
Late in the third period of Thursday’s 3-1 loss to Boston, Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean decided he’d seen enough.
Of what, we’re not sure — the game had less drama than a high school production of Grease — but it was a final-minute icing call that put MacLean over the edge.
So, Paul, care to explain what you said that led to an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and ejection?
More, from the Globe and Mail:
“I can’t afford it,” he said.
It’s safe to assume that salty language was at issue – MacLean disagreed with a late icing call with his squad pressing for a goal, and said so in no uncertain terms.
“I thought it was an attainable pass, so the icing should have been waved off . . . I thought it was similar to a lot of the ones that were waved off. But I’ve never understood the rule,” he said with a half-smile.
It should be noted that MacLean appeared to be the only member of either team caught up in the “heat” (using that term loosely) of yesterday’s affair.
Sens captain Daniel Alfredsson said “the intensity from either team today wasn’t close to being a playoff kind of intensity,” while Boston’s Milan Lucic added, “to be honest it almost seemed like no one wanted to get hurt.”
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team