Apr 6, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
Late in the third period of Thursday’s 3-1 loss to Boston, Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean decided he’d seen enough.
Of what, we’re not sure — the game had less drama than a high school production of Grease — but it was a final-minute icing call that put MacLean over the edge.
So, Paul, care to explain what you said that led to an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and ejection?
More, from the Globe and Mail:
“I can’t afford it,” he said.
It’s safe to assume that salty language was at issue – MacLean disagreed with a late icing call with his squad pressing for a goal, and said so in no uncertain terms.
“I thought it was an attainable pass, so the icing should have been waved off . . . I thought it was similar to a lot of the ones that were waved off. But I’ve never understood the rule,” he said with a half-smile.
It should be noted that MacLean appeared to be the only member of either team caught up in the “heat” (using that term loosely) of yesterday’s affair.
Sens captain Daniel Alfredsson said “the intensity from either team today wasn’t close to being a playoff kind of intensity,” while Boston’s Milan Lucic added, “to be honest it almost seemed like no one wanted to get hurt.”
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 30
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)