Apr 6, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
The NHL’s draft lottery will occur Tuesday at 8 p.m. ET, hosted by deputy commissioner Bill Daly and airing on NBCSN and TSN.
For those that may have forgotten the rules, here’s the deal:
Only non-playoff teams participate in the lottery.
The team that wins the lottery moves up four positions. Therefore, only teams that finish in the bottom five of the standings have a shot at the first overall pick.
Last year, the New Jersey Devils won and moved from eighth to fourth, allowing the last-place Oilers to keep the first overall pick.
The chances of being selected in the lottery are as follows:
30th place team – 25.0%
29th place team – 18.8%
28th place team – 14.2%
27th place team – 10.7%
26th place team – 8.1%
25th place team – 6.2%
24th place team – 4.7%
23rd place team – 3.6%
22nd place team – 2.7%
21st place team – 2.1%
20th place team – 1.5%
19th place team – 1.1%
18th place team – 0.8%
17th place team – 0.5%
For Blue Jackets fans, this means Columbus (guaranteed to finish last overall) has a 48.2% chance of keeping its first overall pick.
The last team to move up to the first overall pick was Chicago, which jumped from fifth to first in 2007 and selected Patrick Kane. The last-place Flyers were forced to choose second and got James van Riemsdyk. Three years later, the ‘Hawks and Flyers met in the finals and Kane scored the Stanley Cup-winning goal.
So yeah, the NHL draft lottery can have an impact.
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 77
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (86)