Apr 6, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
Despite operating in the NHL’s smallest market and playing in the league’s smallest arena, the Winnipeg Jets reportedly made too much money this season to qualify for revenue-sharing.
To qualify for revenue-sharing, clubs must operate in a market with 2.5 million or fewer TV households and rank in the bottom half in revenues.
The Jets can easily check off the former, but not the latter.
Winnipeg will end up selling out every one of its 41 home games. However, with a capacity of just 15,004 in the undersized MTS Centre, the Jets’ average attendance currently ranks 25th in the league.
So how did they make so much money? Easy. Their average ticket price is $98.27 (source: Team Marketing Report), lower than only the Leafs ($123.77) and well above the NHL’s average ticket price of $57.39.
Put it this way – to match the Jets’ regular-season ticket revenue, the San Jose Sharks (another team that sells out every game, but with an average ticket price of $49.73) would have to play in an arena with 29,649 seats.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 55
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal