Apr 6, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
Despite operating in the NHL’s smallest market and playing in the league’s smallest arena, the Winnipeg Jets reportedly made too much money this season to qualify for revenue-sharing.
To qualify for revenue-sharing, clubs must operate in a market with 2.5 million or fewer TV households and rank in the bottom half in revenues.
The Jets can easily check off the former, but not the latter.
Winnipeg will end up selling out every one of its 41 home games. However, with a capacity of just 15,004 in the undersized MTS Centre, the Jets’ average attendance currently ranks 25th in the league.
So how did they make so much money? Easy. Their average ticket price is $98.27 (source: Team Marketing Report), lower than only the Leafs ($123.77) and well above the NHL’s average ticket price of $57.39.
Put it this way – to match the Jets’ regular-season ticket revenue, the San Jose Sharks (another team that sells out every game, but with an average ticket price of $49.73) would have to play in an arena with 29,649 seats.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)