Apr 6, 2012, 10:59 PM EDT
Looks like Nicklas Grossmann‘s made quite the impression during his brief stint in Philly.
Acquired shortly before the February trade deadline, Grossmann took all of 22 games to show he was worth a long-term investment — which the Flyers reportedly gave him on Friday. Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia says the 27-year-old Swede inked a four-year, $14 million deal ($3.5 average annual cap hit.)
More, from CSN:
It is believed this deal is worth double his previous cap hit.
Grossmann has given the Flyers a physical, defensive presence. He is easily the club’s best crease-clearer.
He is also a tenacious shot blocker. Grossmann came here with 100 blocked shots from Dallas and has 52 as a Flyer.
Grossman would’ve been an unrestricted free agent at season’s end, which could explain why Flyers GM Paul Holmgren was quick to sign him. Philly was also likely keen to extend Grossmann given Chris Pronger‘s playing future is cloudy at best and Matt Carle — Philadelphia’s second-leading defenseman scorer — is 27, an unrestricted free agent and believed to be seeking a raise from his current deal ($3.44 million annually.)
Speaking of raises, this deal represents a significant one for Grossmann, who’s last contract in Dallas was a two-year deal worth $3.25 million ($1.63 million per.)
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)