Apr 6, 2012, 10:59 PM EDT
Looks like Nicklas Grossmann‘s made quite the impression during his brief stint in Philly.
Acquired shortly before the February trade deadline, Grossmann took all of 22 games to show he was worth a long-term investment — which the Flyers reportedly gave him on Friday. Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia says the 27-year-old Swede inked a four-year, $14 million deal ($3.5 average annual cap hit.)
More, from CSN:
It is believed this deal is worth double his previous cap hit.
Grossmann has given the Flyers a physical, defensive presence. He is easily the club’s best crease-clearer.
He is also a tenacious shot blocker. Grossmann came here with 100 blocked shots from Dallas and has 52 as a Flyer.
Grossman would’ve been an unrestricted free agent at season’s end, which could explain why Flyers GM Paul Holmgren was quick to sign him. Philly was also likely keen to extend Grossmann given Chris Pronger‘s playing future is cloudy at best and Matt Carle — Philadelphia’s second-leading defenseman scorer — is 27, an unrestricted free agent and believed to be seeking a raise from his current deal ($3.44 million annually.)
Speaking of raises, this deal represents a significant one for Grossmann, who’s last contract in Dallas was a two-year deal worth $3.25 million ($1.63 million per.)
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 16
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)