Apr 6, 2012, 10:59 PM EDT
Looks like Nicklas Grossmann‘s made quite the impression during his brief stint in Philly.
Acquired shortly before the February trade deadline, Grossmann took all of 22 games to show he was worth a long-term investment — which the Flyers reportedly gave him on Friday. Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia says the 27-year-old Swede inked a four-year, $14 million deal ($3.5 average annual cap hit.)
More, from CSN:
It is believed this deal is worth double his previous cap hit.
Grossmann has given the Flyers a physical, defensive presence. He is easily the club’s best crease-clearer.
He is also a tenacious shot blocker. Grossmann came here with 100 blocked shots from Dallas and has 52 as a Flyer.
Grossman would’ve been an unrestricted free agent at season’s end, which could explain why Flyers GM Paul Holmgren was quick to sign him. Philly was also likely keen to extend Grossmann given Chris Pronger‘s playing future is cloudy at best and Matt Carle — Philadelphia’s second-leading defenseman scorer — is 27, an unrestricted free agent and believed to be seeking a raise from his current deal ($3.44 million annually.)
Speaking of raises, this deal represents a significant one for Grossmann, who’s last contract in Dallas was a two-year deal worth $3.25 million ($1.63 million per.)
- Report: Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 0
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 23
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 53
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)