Apr 6, 2012, 10:59 PM EDT
Looks like Nicklas Grossmann‘s made quite the impression during his brief stint in Philly.
Acquired shortly before the February trade deadline, Grossmann took all of 22 games to show he was worth a long-term investment — which the Flyers reportedly gave him on Friday. Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia says the 27-year-old Swede inked a four-year, $14 million deal ($3.5 average annual cap hit.)
More, from CSN:
It is believed this deal is worth double his previous cap hit.
Grossmann has given the Flyers a physical, defensive presence. He is easily the club’s best crease-clearer.
He is also a tenacious shot blocker. Grossmann came here with 100 blocked shots from Dallas and has 52 as a Flyer.
Grossman would’ve been an unrestricted free agent at season’s end, which could explain why Flyers GM Paul Holmgren was quick to sign him. Philly was also likely keen to extend Grossmann given Chris Pronger‘s playing future is cloudy at best and Matt Carle — Philadelphia’s second-leading defenseman scorer — is 27, an unrestricted free agent and believed to be seeking a raise from his current deal ($3.44 million annually.)
Speaking of raises, this deal represents a significant one for Grossmann, who’s last contract in Dallas was a two-year deal worth $3.25 million ($1.63 million per.)
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)