Apr 6, 2012, 1:12 PM EST
According to the rulebook, the only way the league can hand out supplemental discipline is if the player gets involved from the bench during a stoppage in play.
For what Clowe did, the only possible punishment is a minor penalty.
In a related story, every single NHL team just purchased one of those long pool-cleaning poles.
We actually wonder if this will be one of those issues that gets addressed immediately, a la the so-called Sean Avery Rule of 2008 that called for a penalty to be assessed “when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender’s face” after Avery did exactly that to Martin Brodeur.
Of course, given the NHLPA was upset the Avery Rule was imposed by the league during the playoffs without going through the competition committee — plus the fact we’re talking about supplemental discipline, not a minor penalty — it might be tough to address now.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 11
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 40
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)