Apr 6, 2012, 12:11 PM EDT
The day after Rangers head coach John Tortorella blasted Orpik for his “cheap, dirty” play, Stepan was held out of practice — though he was in attendance for New York’s annual team picture.
In the line rushes today, Stepan’s spot with Artem Anisimov and Ryan Callahan was not filled and John Scott, who, likely would be the player entering the lineup if Stepan cannot play — given that there were no call-ups from Connecticut (AHL) this morning — was skating as an extra on the fourth line of Mike Rupp-John Mitchell-Brandon Prust.
Most likely, a day of rest for a sore Stepan.
Oprik was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for the hit, which forced Stepan from the game.
As for reactions, Tortorella wasn’t the only person from the Rangers upset the Pens defenseman went knee-on-knee.
“It was gutless, dirty,” goalie Martin Biron said. “That guy [Orpik] is known for sticking his leg out. He’s going to continue to do that unless somebody either gets him with a suspension or whatever.
“It’s very dangerous.”
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 0
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 43
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 74
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks