Apr 6, 2012, 12:11 PM EST
The day after Rangers head coach John Tortorella blasted Orpik for his “cheap, dirty” play, Stepan was held out of practice — though he was in attendance for New York’s annual team picture.
In the line rushes today, Stepan’s spot with Artem Anisimov and Ryan Callahan was not filled and John Scott, who, likely would be the player entering the lineup if Stepan cannot play — given that there were no call-ups from Connecticut (AHL) this morning — was skating as an extra on the fourth line of Mike Rupp-John Mitchell-Brandon Prust.
Most likely, a day of rest for a sore Stepan.
Oprik was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for the hit, which forced Stepan from the game.
As for reactions, Tortorella wasn’t the only person from the Rangers upset the Pens defenseman went knee-on-knee.
“It was gutless, dirty,” goalie Martin Biron said. “That guy [Orpik] is known for sticking his leg out. He’s going to continue to do that unless somebody either gets him with a suspension or whatever.
“It’s very dangerous.”
- In praise of the Hamburglar 8
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)