Apr 6, 2012, 12:11 PM EDT
The day after Rangers head coach John Tortorella blasted Orpik for his “cheap, dirty” play, Stepan was held out of practice — though he was in attendance for New York’s annual team picture.
In the line rushes today, Stepan’s spot with Artem Anisimov and Ryan Callahan was not filled and John Scott, who, likely would be the player entering the lineup if Stepan cannot play — given that there were no call-ups from Connecticut (AHL) this morning — was skating as an extra on the fourth line of Mike Rupp–John Mitchell–Brandon Prust.
Most likely, a day of rest for a sore Stepan.
Oprik was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for the hit, which forced Stepan from the game.
As for reactions, Tortorella wasn’t the only person from the Rangers upset the Pens defenseman went knee-on-knee.
“It was gutless, dirty,” goalie Martin Biron said. “That guy [Orpik] is known for sticking his leg out. He’s going to continue to do that unless somebody either gets him with a suspension or whatever.
“It’s very dangerous.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)