Apr 6, 2012, 12:11 PM EDT
The day after Rangers head coach John Tortorella blasted Orpik for his “cheap, dirty” play, Stepan was held out of practice — though he was in attendance for New York’s annual team picture.
In the line rushes today, Stepan’s spot with Artem Anisimov and Ryan Callahan was not filled and John Scott, who, likely would be the player entering the lineup if Stepan cannot play — given that there were no call-ups from Connecticut (AHL) this morning — was skating as an extra on the fourth line of Mike Rupp-John Mitchell-Brandon Prust.
Most likely, a day of rest for a sore Stepan.
Oprik was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for the hit, which forced Stepan from the game.
As for reactions, Tortorella wasn’t the only person from the Rangers upset the Pens defenseman went knee-on-knee.
“It was gutless, dirty,” goalie Martin Biron said. “That guy [Orpik] is known for sticking his leg out. He’s going to continue to do that unless somebody either gets him with a suspension or whatever.
“It’s very dangerous.”
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 6
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 21
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 39
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (42)