Apr 6, 2012, 11:47 PM EDT
It’s always a special contest when the Blackhawks and Red Wings face off — but on Saturday, the game has a little extra spice.
The Wings will host the ‘Hawks at Joe Louis Arena (1:00 p.m ET, NBC) knowing that playoff seeding is on the line. Detroit currently holds the fifth spot in the Western Conference, but Chicago can take it…assuming the ‘Hawks want to, that is.
Detroit is fifth in the Western Conference and third in the Central Division with 101 points, while the Blackhawks are sixth in the West and fourth in the Central with 99. A regulation win for Chicago would tie them with the Wings in points and catapult them into the fifth slot for the Stanley Cup Playoffs based on tiebreakers — pitting Chicago against Nashville.
Any kind of Detroit win would consign Chicago with the sixth seed, while a Red Wings win plus a regulation loss for Nashville in Colorado would give the Wings home-ice advantage in a first-round series against the Preds. In short, there is still a lot left to play for besides bragging rights in one of the League’s oldest and fiercest rivalries.
The rub for the ‘Hawks? A regulation win against Detroit would be nice, but it puts them up against a tough Nashville team in Round 1 (the Preds went 4-1-1 against the ‘Hawks this year.)
A loss, though…a loss gives Chicago the No. 6 seed and the winner of the Pacific Division (either Phoenix, LA or San Jose.) The ‘Hawks went 1-2-1 against the Coyotes and Kings and 2-2 against the Sharks this season.
As for Saturday’s game — it could very well be decided by who’s not in the lineup. Chicago will be without the services of captain Jonathan Toews for the 21st straight game, along with key regulars Andrew Brunette and Dave Bolland (Steve Mondator is also still shelved.)
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 64
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights