Apr 6, 2012, 8:19 PM EST
From the “bigger is better” file: Coinciding with the start of the NHL postseason on Apr. 11, the NHL and NBC Sports Group will erect a massive 21-foot-high, 6,600-pound Stanley Cup replica in New York’s famed Times Square.
The beauty of it all? Like the real Lord Stanley’s mug, folks are able to drink from it — the 21-foot replica will also double as a working water fountain.
More, from NBC:
• The Stanley Cup Fountain will feature 12 industrial fountain pop jets in the upper bowl, shooting water six feet above the Cup
• Visitors can drink NYC Water from specific spouts at the base of the fountain with reusable souvenir cups from NBC Sports/NHL and NYC Water
• In total, the system will pump 120 gallons of water/minute through the structure.
The fountain unveiling will take place on Wednesday and feature NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus. Former NHL greats and other dignitaries will also be in attendance to participate in the event and talk to the public.
Here’s what the Stanley Cup Fountain promises to look like:
And here it is, under construction:
And to answer your final question: No, I don’t think they’ll be chucking this one in Mario Lemieux’s and/or Patrick Roy’s pool.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)