Apr 6, 2012, 8:19 PM EDT
From the “bigger is better” file: Coinciding with the start of the NHL postseason on Apr. 11, the NHL and NBC Sports Group will erect a massive 21-foot-high, 6,600-pound Stanley Cup replica in New York’s famed Times Square.
The beauty of it all? Like the real Lord Stanley’s mug, folks are able to drink from it — the 21-foot replica will also double as a working water fountain.
More, from NBC:
• The Stanley Cup Fountain will feature 12 industrial fountain pop jets in the upper bowl, shooting water six feet above the Cup
• Visitors can drink NYC Water from specific spouts at the base of the fountain with reusable souvenir cups from NBC Sports/NHL and NYC Water
• In total, the system will pump 120 gallons of water/minute through the structure.
The fountain unveiling will take place on Wednesday and feature NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus. Former NHL greats and other dignitaries will also be in attendance to participate in the event and talk to the public.
Here’s what the Stanley Cup Fountain promises to look like:
And here it is, under construction:
And to answer your final question: No, I don’t think they’ll be chucking this one in Mario Lemieux’s and/or Patrick Roy’s pool.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 14
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)