Apr 6, 2012, 8:19 PM EDT
From the “bigger is better” file: Coinciding with the start of the NHL postseason on Apr. 11, the NHL and NBC Sports Group will erect a massive 21-foot-high, 6,600-pound Stanley Cup replica in New York’s famed Times Square.
The beauty of it all? Like the real Lord Stanley’s mug, folks are able to drink from it — the 21-foot replica will also double as a working water fountain.
More, from NBC:
• The Stanley Cup Fountain will feature 12 industrial fountain pop jets in the upper bowl, shooting water six feet above the Cup
• Visitors can drink NYC Water from specific spouts at the base of the fountain with reusable souvenir cups from NBC Sports/NHL and NYC Water
• In total, the system will pump 120 gallons of water/minute through the structure.
The fountain unveiling will take place on Wednesday and feature NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus. Former NHL greats and other dignitaries will also be in attendance to participate in the event and talk to the public.
Here’s what the Stanley Cup Fountain promises to look like:
And here it is, under construction:
And to answer your final question: No, I don’t think they’ll be chucking this one in Mario Lemieux’s and/or Patrick Roy’s pool.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 38
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 34
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (39)