Apr 6, 2012, 8:19 PM EDT
From the “bigger is better” file: Coinciding with the start of the NHL postseason on Apr. 11, the NHL and NBC Sports Group will erect a massive 21-foot-high, 6,600-pound Stanley Cup replica in New York’s famed Times Square.
The beauty of it all? Like the real Lord Stanley’s mug, folks are able to drink from it — the 21-foot replica will also double as a working water fountain.
More, from NBC:
• The Stanley Cup Fountain will feature 12 industrial fountain pop jets in the upper bowl, shooting water six feet above the Cup
• Visitors can drink NYC Water from specific spouts at the base of the fountain with reusable souvenir cups from NBC Sports/NHL and NYC Water
• In total, the system will pump 120 gallons of water/minute through the structure.
The fountain unveiling will take place on Wednesday and feature NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus. Former NHL greats and other dignitaries will also be in attendance to participate in the event and talk to the public.
Here’s what the Stanley Cup Fountain promises to look like:
And here it is, under construction:
And to answer your final question: No, I don’t think they’ll be chucking this one in Mario Lemieux’s and/or Patrick Roy’s pool.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)