Apr 6, 2012, 5:40 PM EST
The NHL has slapped John Tortorella with his second major fine of the year, dinging him $20,000 for comments made following a 5-2 loss in Pittsburgh on Thursday.
The New York Rangers head coach was also fined $30,000 after January’s Winter Classic for calling the officiating “disgusting” (and suggesting the refs and NBC collaborated to try and send the game to overtime).
It’s unclear exactly what comment got Torts fined this time around, though it’s not for a lack of options:
– He asked “I wonder what would happen if we did it to their two whining stars over there.”
– He called Pittsburgh “one of the most arrogant organizations in the league.”
– He dropped an f-bomb: “They’ll whine about something else over there, won’t they? Starting with their two [expletive] stars.”
Here’s video of Tort’s rant, in case you haven’t seen it yet:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Prior to this season, Tortorella had been both fined ($10,000, for negative comments towards officials in 2007) and suspended (one game, for an altercation with Capitals fans during the first round of the 2009 playoffs.)
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 18
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 33
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)