Apr 6, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
The NHL has slapped John Tortorella with his second major fine of the year, dinging him $20,000 for comments made following a 5-2 loss in Pittsburgh on Thursday.
The New York Rangers head coach was also fined $30,000 after January’s Winter Classic for calling the officiating “disgusting” (and suggesting the refs and NBC collaborated to try and send the game to overtime).
It’s unclear exactly what comment got Torts fined this time around, though it’s not for a lack of options:
— He asked “I wonder what would happen if we did it to their two whining stars over there.”
— He called Pittsburgh “one of the most arrogant organizations in the league.”
— He dropped an f-bomb: “They’ll whine about something else over there, won’t they? Starting with their two [expletive] stars.”
Here’s video of Tort’s rant, in case you haven’t seen it yet:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Prior to this season, Tortorella had been both fined ($10,000, for negative comments towards officials in 2007) and suspended (one game, for an altercation with Capitals fans during the first round of the 2009 playoffs.)
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 0
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 8
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 17
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 38
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 21
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)