Apr 6, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
The NHL has slapped John Tortorella with his second major fine of the year, dinging him $20,000 for comments made following a 5-2 loss in Pittsburgh on Thursday.
The New York Rangers head coach was also fined $30,000 after January’s Winter Classic for calling the officiating “disgusting” (and suggesting the refs and NBC collaborated to try and send the game to overtime).
It’s unclear exactly what comment got Torts fined this time around, though it’s not for a lack of options:
— He asked “I wonder what would happen if we did it to their two whining stars over there.”
— He called Pittsburgh “one of the most arrogant organizations in the league.”
— He dropped an f-bomb: “They’ll whine about something else over there, won’t they? Starting with their two [expletive] stars.”
Here’s video of Tort’s rant, in case you haven’t seen it yet:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Prior to this season, Tortorella had been both fined ($10,000, for negative comments towards officials in 2007) and suspended (one game, for an altercation with Capitals fans during the first round of the 2009 playoffs.)
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25