Apr 6, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
The NHL has slapped John Tortorella with his second major fine of the year, dinging him $20,000 for comments made following a 5-2 loss in Pittsburgh on Thursday.
The New York Rangers head coach was also fined $30,000 after January’s Winter Classic for calling the officiating “disgusting” (and suggesting the refs and NBC collaborated to try and send the game to overtime).
It’s unclear exactly what comment got Torts fined this time around, though it’s not for a lack of options:
– He asked “I wonder what would happen if we did it to their two whining stars over there.”
– He called Pittsburgh “one of the most arrogant organizations in the league.”
– He dropped an f-bomb: “They’ll whine about something else over there, won’t they? Starting with their two [expletive] stars.”
Here’s video of Tort’s rant, in case you haven’t seen it yet:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Prior to this season, Tortorella had been both fined ($10,000, for negative comments towards officials in 2007) and suspended (one game, for an altercation with Capitals fans during the first round of the 2009 playoffs.)
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 7
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 2
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 13
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 36
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 23
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 62
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 26