Apr 6, 2012, 5:03 PM EST
NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan has suspended Minnesota defenseman Nate Prosser for one game, stemming from a head-butt on Chicago’s Jamal Mayers in the Wild’s 2-1 shootout victory on Thursday.
Here’s Shanahan’s video explanation:
The incident occurred with under two minutes to play in the first period, with Prosser receiving a major penalty and game misconduct. Following the game, Prosser insisted the head-butt wasn’t on purpose.
“He pushed me in the stomach and I went forward. It was the most unintentional thing I think I’ve ever done,” he said, as per the StarTribune. “I think he sold it pretty well. He acted like his teeth were knocked out. I felt bad at the time, but then he’s back the next shift.”
The 25-year-old rearguard joins some exclusive company with his suspension, becoming just the second player this year to be punished for headbutting. Earlier this season, Buffalo’s Patrick Kaleta was handed a four-game ban for the same offense, though he was a repeat (okay, serial) offender…he also preferred the advanced “flying” head-butt technique.
Prosser will miss Minnesota’s season finale — Saturday, Apr. 7 against Phoenix — and will forfeit $3,864.86 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)