Apr 6, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan has suspended Minnesota defenseman Nate Prosser for one game, stemming from a head-butt on Chicago’s Jamal Mayers in the Wild’s 2-1 shootout victory on Thursday.
Here’s Shanahan’s video explanation:
The incident occurred with under two minutes to play in the first period, with Prosser receiving a major penalty and game misconduct. Following the game, Prosser insisted the head-butt wasn’t on purpose.
“He pushed me in the stomach and I went forward. It was the most unintentional thing I think I’ve ever done,” he said, as per the StarTribune. “I think he sold it pretty well. He acted like his teeth were knocked out. I felt bad at the time, but then he’s back the next shift.”
The 25-year-old rearguard joins some exclusive company with his suspension, becoming just the second player this year to be punished for headbutting. Earlier this season, Buffalo’s Patrick Kaleta was handed a four-game ban for the same offense, though he was a repeat (okay, serial) offender…he also preferred the advanced “flying” head-butt technique.
Prosser will miss Minnesota’s season finale — Saturday, Apr. 7 against Phoenix — and will forfeit $3,864.86 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)