Apr 6, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan has suspended Minnesota defenseman Nate Prosser for one game, stemming from a head-butt on Chicago’s Jamal Mayers in the Wild’s 2-1 shootout victory on Thursday.
Here’s Shanahan’s video explanation:
The incident occurred with under two minutes to play in the first period, with Prosser receiving a major penalty and game misconduct. Following the game, Prosser insisted the head-butt wasn’t on purpose.
“He pushed me in the stomach and I went forward. It was the most unintentional thing I think I’ve ever done,” he said, as per the StarTribune. “I think he sold it pretty well. He acted like his teeth were knocked out. I felt bad at the time, but then he’s back the next shift.”
The 25-year-old rearguard joins some exclusive company with his suspension, becoming just the second player this year to be punished for headbutting. Earlier this season, Buffalo’s Patrick Kaleta was handed a four-game ban for the same offense, though he was a repeat (okay, serial) offender…he also preferred the advanced “flying” head-butt technique.
Prosser will miss Minnesota’s season finale — Saturday, Apr. 7 against Phoenix — and will forfeit $3,864.86 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 30
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 54
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (53)