Apr 6, 2012, 5:03 PM EST
NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan has suspended Minnesota defenseman Nate Prosser for one game, stemming from a head-butt on Chicago’s Jamal Mayers in the Wild’s 2-1 shootout victory on Thursday.
Here’s Shanahan’s video explanation:
The incident occurred with under two minutes to play in the first period, with Prosser receiving a major penalty and game misconduct. Following the game, Prosser insisted the head-butt wasn’t on purpose.
“He pushed me in the stomach and I went forward. It was the most unintentional thing I think I’ve ever done,” he said, as per the StarTribune. “I think he sold it pretty well. He acted like his teeth were knocked out. I felt bad at the time, but then he’s back the next shift.”
The 25-year-old rearguard joins some exclusive company with his suspension, becoming just the second player this year to be punished for headbutting. Earlier this season, Buffalo’s Patrick Kaleta was handed a four-game ban for the same offense, though he was a repeat (okay, serial) offender…he also preferred the advanced “flying” head-butt technique.
Prosser will miss Minnesota’s season finale — Saturday, Apr. 7 against Phoenix — and will forfeit $3,864.86 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)