Apr 6, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan has suspended Minnesota defenseman Nate Prosser for one game, stemming from a head-butt on Chicago’s Jamal Mayers in the Wild’s 2-1 shootout victory on Thursday.
Here’s Shanahan’s video explanation:
The incident occurred with under two minutes to play in the first period, with Prosser receiving a major penalty and game misconduct. Following the game, Prosser insisted the head-butt wasn’t on purpose.
“He pushed me in the stomach and I went forward. It was the most unintentional thing I think I’ve ever done,” he said, as per the StarTribune. “I think he sold it pretty well. He acted like his teeth were knocked out. I felt bad at the time, but then he’s back the next shift.”
The 25-year-old rearguard joins some exclusive company with his suspension, becoming just the second player this year to be punished for headbutting. Earlier this season, Buffalo’s Patrick Kaleta was handed a four-game ban for the same offense, though he was a repeat (okay, serial) offender…he also preferred the advanced “flying” head-butt technique.
Prosser will miss Minnesota’s season finale — Saturday, Apr. 7 against Phoenix — and will forfeit $3,864.86 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 2
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)