Apr 6, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
Today, he confessed to what captain Joe Thornton jokingly called “the play of the year.”
“Obviously, as you can tell when I sat down on the bench, that was stupid, that was a dumb play,” Clowe said, as reported by the Mercury News. “It probably should have been a two-minute penalty and I was lucky it didn’t cost the team. It was definitely a brain cramp at the time. Don’t think it’ll ever happen again.”
Coach Todd McLellan agreed, calling it an “ill-advised move.”
If the officials had seen what Clowe did, he would’ve been assessed a two-minute minor for interference.
Considering the game was tied with less than three minutes left and the Kings were already on the power play, a penalty could’ve easily cost the Sharks a huge game, which San Jose ended up winning in the shootout.
The Sharks had two players back, with another coming fast on the back-check, after Kings forward Jarret Stoll picked up the puck and rushed down the right side of the ice. At the time Clowe reached over the boards and knocked it off Stoll’s stick, Los Angeles was far from guaranteed a scoring chance.
With more, here’s CSNBayArea.com’s story.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)