Apr 6, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
Today, he confessed to what captain Joe Thornton jokingly called “the play of the year.”
“Obviously, as you can tell when I sat down on the bench, that was stupid, that was a dumb play,” Clowe said, as reported by the Mercury News. “It probably should have been a two-minute penalty and I was lucky it didn’t cost the team. It was definitely a brain cramp at the time. Don’t think it’ll ever happen again.”
Coach Todd McLellan agreed, calling it an “ill-advised move.”
If the officials had seen what Clowe did, he would’ve been assessed a two-minute minor for interference.
Considering the game was tied with less than three minutes left and the Kings were already on the power play, a penalty could’ve easily cost the Sharks a huge game, which San Jose ended up winning in the shootout.
The Sharks had two players back, with another coming fast on the back-check, after Kings forward Jarret Stoll picked up the puck and rushed down the right side of the ice. At the time Clowe reached over the boards and knocked it off Stoll’s stick, Los Angeles was far from guaranteed a scoring chance.
With more, here’s CSNBayArea.com’s story.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 54
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 22
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming