Apr 6, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
Today, he confessed to what captain Joe Thornton jokingly called “the play of the year.”
“Obviously, as you can tell when I sat down on the bench, that was stupid, that was a dumb play,” Clowe said, as reported by the Mercury News. “It probably should have been a two-minute penalty and I was lucky it didn’t cost the team. It was definitely a brain cramp at the time. Don’t think it’ll ever happen again.”
Coach Todd McLellan agreed, calling it an “ill-advised move.”
If the officials had seen what Clowe did, he would’ve been assessed a two-minute minor for interference.
Considering the game was tied with less than three minutes left and the Kings were already on the power play, a penalty could’ve easily cost the Sharks a huge game, which San Jose ended up winning in the shootout.
The Sharks had two players back, with another coming fast on the back-check, after Kings forward Jarret Stoll picked up the puck and rushed down the right side of the ice. At the time Clowe reached over the boards and knocked it off Stoll’s stick, Los Angeles was far from guaranteed a scoring chance.
With more, here’s CSNBayArea.com’s story.
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 5
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 11
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 11
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)