Apr 6, 2012, 11:52 AM EDT
There was no shortage of ways to describe Ryane Clowe‘s interference-from-the-bench play after San Jose’s 6-5 shootout win over Los Angeles.
And it’s true — nobody has seen a player on the bench reach over and break up a potential rush. That was unprecedented.
Not unprecedented, though? A Sharks player getting involved while seated on the pine.
On Jan. 31, San Jose’s 6-0 win over Columbus was marred by accusation as Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards claimed someone from the Sharks bench squirted Derek Dorsett with a water bottle.
“As [Derek] Dorsett is coming down the ice, you can see a water bottle squirted on him from San Jose’s bench,” Richards told CSN Bay Area. “I don’t know if that’s what set him off, but as he’s carrying the puck up the ice, that happens.”
Here’s video of the alleged incident:
At the 28 second mark you can see Dorsett gesturing at the Sharks bench, presumably in response to the alleged squirt. At :57 (the replay portion of the video), there’s pretty solid evidence of a water bottle being directed at him.
While it seems unlikely Clowe will be subjected to supplemental discipline for his actions, could the Sharks be facing some sort of team fine? Heck, they could be put in the repeat offender category.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)