Apr 6, 2012, 11:52 AM EDT
There was no shortage of ways to describe Ryane Clowe‘s interference-from-the-bench play after San Jose’s 6-5 shootout win over Los Angeles.
And it’s true — nobody has seen a player on the bench reach over and break up a potential rush. That was unprecedented.
Not unprecedented, though? A Sharks player getting involved while seated on the pine.
On Jan. 31, San Jose’s 6-0 win over Columbus was marred by accusation as Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards claimed someone from the Sharks bench squirted Derek Dorsett with a water bottle.
“As [Derek] Dorsett is coming down the ice, you can see a water bottle squirted on him from San Jose’s bench,” Richards told CSN Bay Area. “I don’t know if that’s what set him off, but as he’s carrying the puck up the ice, that happens.”
Here’s video of the alleged incident:
At the 28 second mark you can see Dorsett gesturing at the Sharks bench, presumably in response to the alleged squirt. At :57 (the replay portion of the video), there’s pretty solid evidence of a water bottle being directed at him.
While it seems unlikely Clowe will be subjected to supplemental discipline for his actions, could the Sharks be facing some sort of team fine? Heck, they could be put in the repeat offender category.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 0
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 7
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 17
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 37
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 21
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)