Bylsma on Tortorella rant: “It’s part of his coaching manual to go off”

Apr 6, 2012, 2:11 PM EDT

Dan Bylsma, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Matt Cooke AP

For the second time this week, Dan Bylsma has faced sharp criticism from an opposing coach.

And for the second time, Bylsma’s brushed it off.

That’s what transpired on Friday following Penguins practice, as the Pittsburgh head coach put John Tortorella’s comments — saying Pittsburgh was an arrogant organization — into context.

“We’ve seen that in the last week all over with gamesmanship,” Bylsma told Penguins Report. “Trying to talk to, at and through different mediums to the team, referees and who might be listening to some of the talk. That’s all it is: gamesmanship.

“They’re trying to have an effect where I’m not sure they can have an effect. I think it’s gamesmanship and they’re trying to have someone hear them. Whether it’s the referees or whom I don’t know.”

Still, Bylsma couldn’t resist giving Torts a slight shot.

“His postgame comments for a lot of games this year, we’ve heard different things from hits, starting lineups, how referees ends games,” Bylsma said. “It’s part of his coaching manual to go off.”

Known throughout his career as a cool customer, the Penguins head coach has been extra cool this past week. He didn’t bite when Flyers coach Peter Laviolette called him “gutless” after Sunday’s melee; he also kept quiet after defenseman Matt Niskanen was knocked out of  action by Boston’s Dan Paille (Paille got a charging penalty on the hit.)

The way Bylsma sees it, there’s no sense in getting caught-up in extracurricular activity.

“In every series, and the series coming up, one team will win four games, there will be a handshake,” he said. “One side will wish the other side luck in the next round. The other side will go on. That will happen on the ice. We’re going to have a whale of a series. We respect [the Flyers]. We have a great adversary.

“There is a storyline going on and it will be played out on the ice.”

1. hatrick50 - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Now this is a coach with class. Unlike those ass-clowns from ny and philly

• brian32556 - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Yeah, he has so much class he hides behind his assistant coaches when threatened!! Now that’s class-less!!

2. Stiller43 - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Got tix to game two. Gonna be fun

3. shanehockey28 - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM

The storyline is that teams are tired of the Penguins gooning it up and having no consequences. Malkin and Crosby are the biggest punks in the league not to mention dirtiest and all they do is run. I cannot wait for those two to get run its only a matter of time. To think I actually felt sorry for that tool Crosby when he was out with a concussion…

• crosberries - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Wow good job combining all the articles you’ve read over the last week of what other teams coaches have said. Did you cut and paste that whole post or read and re-type?

• hatrick50 - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Couldnt be more obvious that you know nothing about hockey

• shanehockey28 - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Couldnt be more obvious both of you are pretty big homers dont only read anything but Penguins hockey. I watch them quite a bit and its the same every game and im sure you would step outside your little Crosby world you would see that. Tell me when is the last time Crosby or Malkin had to stand up for their actions? You think all of sudden these two coaches and Milbury realized those punks are classless? I dont think so, they just have to balls to say something.

• bcs1283 - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Are you going to try backing up that statement or are you only interested in regurgitating the exact same rhetoric as all of the other misinformed Penguin haters?

• shanehockey28 - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Thats not that hard, he’s been a db his entire career and the people that actually know a thing about hockey are finally seeing it. I guess Crosby’s qoute of “Ive never slashed so much in my career” isnt enough? Thats ok I wouldnt expect a Penguins fan to know anything about hockey. Your fans wouldnt bother showing up when they were terrible only once they started winning you almost lost your team for goodness sakes. Its took another golden boy Mario to bail them out. Flyers worst year in history they were still tops in attendance cause they are true fans.

• hatrick50 - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

No homer here…. these 2 dont do any more or less than 95% of the rest….watch and play some hockey before you open your simpleton mouth

• pacoj68 - Apr 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM

hockey fans=crybabies

4. bobhpine - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Long history of superstars fighting all the time in the NHL. There was that badass Gretzky and that goon bobby Orr. I guess not everyone is as tough as shanehockey the message board hero.

5. shanehockey28 - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Right so I guess people are just picking on Crosby and Geno aww poor babies ;(…..Didnt say I was tough guy but I do know I wouldnt walk up to another a slash away with a hockey stick, or swing at them and not think I was in for a fight. And hatrick I do play hockey and watch quite a bit you should try it yourself sometime you moron.

• hatrick50 - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Your comments suggest the opposite …..please go to the golf message board

• shanehockey28 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM

The ol “go to the golf message board” wow you really got me man. You are so cool, had I known you were so awesome and had these awesome come backs I would have never bothered.

• eyeh8goodell - Apr 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Bull. If you play then tell me…….what hollow do you use and why? What number is the lie of a certain piece of your gear and why? QUICK……run to your search engine to try and formulate an answer!

I love internet children making claims their asses can’t cash. I’ve been playing 18 years son and i’ll bust you up.

6. GenoPringles - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Wow! Byslma is sooo damn smooth. Pure class. Someone should document every word this man says and turn it into a How To Coach in The NHL manual. Not only is he the classiest coach, but he defiantly gets my vote for Best Looking too.

• letangusespertplus - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Did you see that sweater he wore earlier this year? MMMMMMMM MMMMMMMM. I heard the show mad men is based of his dashing good looks and 24/7 was created only to get a camera crew in Disco Dans house to see where he washes his classy sack.

7. oakiepsu - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Penguin fans face the facts…No one like you, your team or your two crying stars. This whole organization has been getting the benefit of calls and preferential for years now. The entire league is sick of it.

• tsi431 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM

It’s funny that the same cry baby antics come up in every sport. The ref’s cheating for this team or that team.

I am a Green Bay Packer fan, and no matter what team they beat that week, the fans say the exact same, (i.e. ref’s cheating, turning a blind eye, etc).

I am a L.A. Laker fan, every opponent they play uses the very same excuse (Kobe get’s a foul on every shot, blah blah).

Just admit that your team lost and hope they can win the next one.

• eyeh8goodell - Apr 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Yeah I guess that’s why Dan Bylsma was voted the coach most players would like to play for 2 years running in the NHL Players Poll. I guess that’s why Crosby cleaned house in the same poll last year……because everybody hates him. LOL. Try again, bitter little clown.

8. feva4theflava - Apr 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Can’t we all just get along and enjoy a great game of hockey?

9. gary15217 - Apr 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM

@oakiepsu. If you were actually intelligent enough to comment legitimately, this could be fun. However, the fact that the Pens have put together a powerhouse and have sold out 250 consecutive games seems lost on you. Please try to piece together a cogent argument before spewing idiocy. Your nonsensical diatribe reeks of utter ignorance.

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches