Apr 5, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
We already wrote yesterday about Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs’ emotional outburst over the continuing plight of the Phoenix Coyotes, but for those who prefer watching video to reading (don’t worry, this video doesn’t have Mike or I in it), here’s an Arizona Nightly News report on the situation.
Not sure what it says about the mayor that she didn’t fully understand the deal with the NHL. Maybe should’ve wrapped her head around it before committing $25 million of taxpayer money.
As for the NHL’s position, deputy commissioner Bill Daly spoke to Yahoo! after Scruggs’ comments and provided a very different story.
“We obviously disagree with the mayor’s suggestion that the league — in any way or at any time — misled the City of Glendale,” Daly said. “We couldn’t have been more open and forthcoming throughout the 2 1/2 years we have owned this team.”
Daly added that there was no news to report on the Coyotes situation. However, he also said the NHL hasn’t begun exploring any alternatives (i.e. relocating), which considering the clock is ticking may suggest the league feels confident about finding a way to keep the team in the desert.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)