Apr 5, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
We already wrote yesterday about Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs’ emotional outburst over the continuing plight of the Phoenix Coyotes, but for those who prefer watching video to reading (don’t worry, this video doesn’t have Mike or I in it), here’s an Arizona Nightly News report on the situation.
Not sure what it says about the mayor that she didn’t fully understand the deal with the NHL. Maybe should’ve wrapped her head around it before committing $25 million of taxpayer money.
As for the NHL’s position, deputy commissioner Bill Daly spoke to Yahoo! after Scruggs’ comments and provided a very different story.
“We obviously disagree with the mayor’s suggestion that the league — in any way or at any time — misled the City of Glendale,” Daly said. “We couldn’t have been more open and forthcoming throughout the 2 1/2 years we have owned this team.”
Daly added that there was no news to report on the Coyotes situation. However, he also said the NHL hasn’t begun exploring any alternatives (i.e. relocating), which considering the clock is ticking may suggest the league feels confident about finding a way to keep the team in the desert.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)