Apr 5, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
We already wrote yesterday about Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs’ emotional outburst over the continuing plight of the Phoenix Coyotes, but for those who prefer watching video to reading (don’t worry, this video doesn’t have Mike or I in it), here’s an Arizona Nightly News report on the situation.
Not sure what it says about the mayor that she didn’t fully understand the deal with the NHL. Maybe should’ve wrapped her head around it before committing $25 million of taxpayer money.
As for the NHL’s position, deputy commissioner Bill Daly spoke to Yahoo! after Scruggs’ comments and provided a very different story.
“We obviously disagree with the mayor’s suggestion that the league — in any way or at any time — misled the City of Glendale,” Daly said. “We couldn’t have been more open and forthcoming throughout the 2 1/2 years we have owned this team.”
Daly added that there was no news to report on the Coyotes situation. However, he also said the NHL hasn’t begun exploring any alternatives (i.e. relocating), which considering the clock is ticking may suggest the league feels confident about finding a way to keep the team in the desert.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)