Apr 5, 2012, 5:25 PM EST
We already wrote yesterday about Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs’ emotional outburst over the continuing plight of the Phoenix Coyotes, but for those who prefer watching video to reading (don’t worry, this video doesn’t have Mike or I in it), here’s an Arizona Nightly News report on the situation.
Not sure what it says about the mayor that she didn’t fully understand the deal with the NHL. Maybe should’ve wrapped her head around it before committing $25 million of taxpayer money.
As for the NHL’s position, deputy commissioner Bill Daly spoke to Yahoo! after Scruggs’ comments and provided a very different story.
“We obviously disagree with the mayor’s suggestion that the league — in any way or at any time — misled the City of Glendale,” Daly said. “We couldn’t have been more open and forthcoming throughout the 2 1/2 years we have owned this team.”
Daly added that there was no news to report on the Coyotes situation. However, he also said the NHL hasn’t begun exploring any alternatives (i.e. relocating), which considering the clock is ticking may suggest the league feels confident about finding a way to keep the team in the desert.
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 3
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 8
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 52
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 75
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)