Apr 5, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
We already wrote yesterday about Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs’ emotional outburst over the continuing plight of the Phoenix Coyotes, but for those who prefer watching video to reading (don’t worry, this video doesn’t have Mike or I in it), here’s an Arizona Nightly News report on the situation.
Not sure what it says about the mayor that she didn’t fully understand the deal with the NHL. Maybe should’ve wrapped her head around it before committing $25 million of taxpayer money.
As for the NHL’s position, deputy commissioner Bill Daly spoke to Yahoo! after Scruggs’ comments and provided a very different story.
“We obviously disagree with the mayor’s suggestion that the league — in any way or at any time — misled the City of Glendale,” Daly said. “We couldn’t have been more open and forthcoming throughout the 2 1/2 years we have owned this team.”
Daly added that there was no news to report on the Coyotes situation. However, he also said the NHL hasn’t begun exploring any alternatives (i.e. relocating), which considering the clock is ticking may suggest the league feels confident about finding a way to keep the team in the desert.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)