Apr 5, 2012, 4:26 PM EST
A couple of weeks ago, it was the Washington Capitals spinning lemons into lemonade – now it’s the San Jose Sharks’ turn to play the “all this adversity will help us in the playoffs” card.
The Sharks can clinch a playoff spot tonight with a win over the Kings in Los Angeles, but it’s been a real battle up to this point.
“It hasn’t been a dream season, but sometimes those seasons, if you get in, you can make them work in your favor,” coach Todd McLellan said, as per CSNBayArea.com. “We know what it feels like to cruise through a season and be number one, and then all of a sudden the pressure comes. In this situation, we’ve been playing with pressure for a month now.”
Which is pretty much exactly what Caps forward Mike Knuble said a couple of weeks ago: “The last two years we’ve been kind of cruising, waiting and seeing what everyone else is doing. I have to believe (battling for a playoff spot down the stretch) makes your team sharper from being on every night.”
According to SportsClubStats.com, the Sharks have a 50-percent chance of playing the Canucks in the first round. Unlike San Jose, Vancouver’s never been in real jeopardy of missing the playoffs. Ditto for the Rangers, the likely first-round opponent of the Capitals should Washington qualify.
So maybe we’ll be able to put this “we’ve been in playoff mode while you’ve been sitting around waiting” theory to the test.
The contrasting theory is that the Canucks and Rangers have never been in jeopardy of missing the playoffs because they’re the better teams. (And typically the better teams win.)
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)