Apr 5, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
After being right around the net (but not even getting a point) for a Martin St. Louis goal earlier in the game, Steven Stamkos notched goal No. 59 in an otherwise meaningless Tampa Bay Lightning-Toronto Maple Leafs game. Toronto ended up winning 3-2 in OT.
Here is video of the Stamkos tap-in tally:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Toronto held off Stamkos for the rest of the game, so it will all come down to scoring one goal against the Jets in Winnipeg on Saturday.
Collecting a goal-per-game is asking a lot, yet Stamkos seems suited to do it more than any player in the league at the moment – especially considering Alex Ovechkin‘s recent struggles. Speaking of Ovechkin, Stamkos is hoping to join lofty company. If he reaches 60, he’ll be just the second player (Ovechkin did it in 2007-08) to score at least that many since Jaromir Jagr reached the mark all the way back in 1995-96.
In fact, it’s the kind of run that might have some thinking Hart Trophy possibilities, so share your take here.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 10
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 4
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17