Apr 5, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
After being right around the net (but not even getting a point) for a Martin St. Louis goal earlier in the game, Steven Stamkos notched goal No. 59 in an otherwise meaningless Tampa Bay Lightning-Toronto Maple Leafs game. Toronto ended up winning 3-2 in OT.
Here is video of the Stamkos tap-in tally:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Toronto held off Stamkos for the rest of the game, so it will all come down to scoring one goal against the Jets in Winnipeg on Saturday.
Collecting a goal-per-game is asking a lot, yet Stamkos seems suited to do it more than any player in the league at the moment – especially considering Alex Ovechkin‘s recent struggles. Speaking of Ovechkin, Stamkos is hoping to join lofty company. If he reaches 60, he’ll be just the second player (Ovechkin did it in 2007-08) to score at least that many since Jaromir Jagr reached the mark all the way back in 1995-96.
In fact, it’s the kind of run that might have some thinking Hart Trophy possibilities, so share your take here.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)