Apr 5, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
After being right around the net (but not even getting a point) for a Martin St. Louis goal earlier in the game, Steven Stamkos notched goal No. 59 in an otherwise meaningless Tampa Bay Lightning-Toronto Maple Leafs game. Toronto ended up winning 3-2 in OT.
Here is video of the Stamkos tap-in tally:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Toronto held off Stamkos for the rest of the game, so it will all come down to scoring one goal against the Jets in Winnipeg on Saturday.
Collecting a goal-per-game is asking a lot, yet Stamkos seems suited to do it more than any player in the league at the moment – especially considering Alex Ovechkin‘s recent struggles. Speaking of Ovechkin, Stamkos is hoping to join lofty company. If he reaches 60, he’ll be just the second player (Ovechkin did it in 2007-08) to score at least that many since Jaromir Jagr reached the mark all the way back in 1995-96.
In fact, it’s the kind of run that might have some thinking Hart Trophy possibilities, so share your take here.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 67
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15