Apr 5, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT
After being right around the net (but not even getting a point) for a Martin St. Louis goal earlier in the game, Steven Stamkos notched goal No. 59 in an otherwise meaningless Tampa Bay Lightning-Toronto Maple Leafs game. Toronto ended up winning 3-2 in OT.
Here is video of the Stamkos tap-in tally:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Toronto held off Stamkos for the rest of the game, so it will all come down to scoring one goal against the Jets in Winnipeg on Saturday.
Collecting a goal-per-game is asking a lot, yet Stamkos seems suited to do it more than any player in the league at the moment – especially considering Alex Ovechkin‘s recent struggles. Speaking of Ovechkin, Stamkos is hoping to join lofty company. If he reaches 60, he’ll be just the second player (Ovechkin did it in 2007-08) to score at least that many since Jaromir Jagr reached the mark all the way back in 1995-96.
In fact, it’s the kind of run that might have some thinking Hart Trophy possibilities, so share your take here.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)