Apr 5, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Steven Stamkos couldn’t ask for two better opponents to close out the season as his quest to score 60 nears an end. Tonight, the Lightning are in Toronto, Saturday they’re in Winnipeg.
Stamkos only needs two more goals to get to 60 – a number that hasn’t been reached since 2007-08 when Alex Ovechkin managed 65 – and he should get plenty of scoring chances against the Leafs and Jets. The former ranks 29th in goals allowed (3.16 GA/G), the latter 26th (2.91 GA/G).
The Leafs are also dreadful at killing penalties, as are the Jets. And we all know how dangerous No. 91 is on the power play.
Of course, with the Leafs’ playoff hopes still making their way through the sewer system after being flushed in February and March, coach Randy Carlyle would love nothing more than to shut down Stamkos and get at least something out of tonight’s game.
“Everybody knows he’s got the 58 goals and you know where he likes to be,” Carlyle said, as per Sportsnet. “The one thing he doesn’t shy away from is the work ethic and being first on pucks. You’ve got to know where he is on the ice, and that’s going to be a task for us to keep him silenced in our building.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)