Apr 5, 2012, 10:03 AM EST
The Ottawa Senators and Boston Bruins should take a lesson from the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers on how to set up a playoff series. The Senators and Bruins will probably play each other in the first round, but don’t expect Thursday’s game to offer much insight into how that series will go.
As we previously reported, Boston has already decided to rest three core players in Tim Thomas, Zdeno Chara, and Patrice Bergeron. Now the Ottawa Senators have followed suit by giving backup goaltender Ben Bishop his first start since he left a game on March 24 with a lower body injury.
“It’s fine. Every team probably says the same thing: You want to have healthy and fresh bodies going into the playoffs,” said captain Daniel Alfredsson in regards to the Bruins decision.
Ottawa’s decision to start Bishop probably has a little less to do with resting Craig Anderson and more to do with giving Bishop some playing time in case they need him in the postseason.
There’s still a chance that Ottawa will finish the season in eighth place, but in order for that to happen, they would have to lose both of their last two games and the Capitals would need to win both of theirs. The more likely scenario is that the Senators open the playoffs against the Bruins. Just not the Bruins team that they’ll face on Thursday.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)