Apr 5, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
When Nicklas Grossmann arrived in Philadelphia, he was sporting a brace on his left knee.
When he returns from his latest injury, he’ll be wearing one on the right as well.
That’s the word from CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio, who spoke with Grossmann Thursday about his impending return to the Flyers lineup. Grossmann has been out since suffering a knee-on-knee hit from Pittsburgh’s Joe Vitale, but managed to find some humor in his current situation — one that will require him to don a second knee brace.
“I’m pretty used to it, but yeah, we’ll see how that [two braces] goes,” Grossmann said. “Me and Forrest Gump.”
The 27-year-old Swede won’t play tonight when the Flyers take on the Sabres, but hopes to play the regular-season finale on Saturday against Pittsburgh — where he could be facing Vitale again. Though he wasn’t terribly upset with the hit that sidelined him, Grossmann wasn’t exactly thrilled about it either.
“I thought I was past him, but he came in and hit my knee,” he explained. “Unfortunately, you never want to be hurt. You want to play. It’s a little frustrating.”
The Flyers are keen to get Grossmann back in the lineup. He’s been a valuable asset on the blueline since coming over from Dallas, playing over 18 minutes a night and emerging as a key penalty killer. He’s also an excellent shrimp boat captain.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)