Apr 5, 2012, 1:03 PM EST
When Nicklas Grossmann arrived in Philadelphia, he was sporting a brace on his left knee.
When he returns from his latest injury, he’ll be wearing one on the right as well.
That’s the word from CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio, who spoke with Grossmann Thursday about his impending return to the Flyers lineup. Grossmann has been out since suffering a knee-on-knee hit from Pittsburgh’s Joe Vitale, but managed to find some humor in his current situation — one that will require him to don a second knee brace.
“I’m pretty used to it, but yeah, we’ll see how that [two braces] goes,” Grossmann said. “Me and Forrest Gump.”
The 27-year-old Swede won’t play tonight when the Flyers take on the Sabres, but hopes to play the regular-season finale on Saturday against Pittsburgh — where he could be facing Vitale again. Though he wasn’t terribly upset with the hit that sidelined him, Grossmann wasn’t exactly thrilled about it either.
“I thought I was past him, but he came in and hit my knee,” he explained. “Unfortunately, you never want to be hurt. You want to play. It’s a little frustrating.”
The Flyers are keen to get Grossmann back in the lineup. He’s been a valuable asset on the blueline since coming over from Dallas, playing over 18 minutes a night and emerging as a key penalty killer. He’s also an excellent shrimp boat captain.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 6
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 73
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)