Apr 5, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
When Nicklas Grossmann arrived in Philadelphia, he was sporting a brace on his left knee.
When he returns from his latest injury, he’ll be wearing one on the right as well.
That’s the word from CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio, who spoke with Grossmann Thursday about his impending return to the Flyers lineup. Grossmann has been out since suffering a knee-on-knee hit from Pittsburgh’s Joe Vitale, but managed to find some humor in his current situation — one that will require him to don a second knee brace.
“I’m pretty used to it, but yeah, we’ll see how that [two braces] goes,” Grossmann said. “Me and Forrest Gump.”
The 27-year-old Swede won’t play tonight when the Flyers take on the Sabres, but hopes to play the regular-season finale on Saturday against Pittsburgh — where he could be facing Vitale again. Though he wasn’t terribly upset with the hit that sidelined him, Grossmann wasn’t exactly thrilled about it either.
“I thought I was past him, but he came in and hit my knee,” he explained. “Unfortunately, you never want to be hurt. You want to play. It’s a little frustrating.”
The Flyers are keen to get Grossmann back in the lineup. He’s been a valuable asset on the blueline since coming over from Dallas, playing over 18 minutes a night and emerging as a key penalty killer. He’s also an excellent shrimp boat captain.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)