Apr 5, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
When Nicklas Grossmann arrived in Philadelphia, he was sporting a brace on his left knee.
When he returns from his latest injury, he’ll be wearing one on the right as well.
That’s the word from CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio, who spoke with Grossmann Thursday about his impending return to the Flyers lineup. Grossmann has been out since suffering a knee-on-knee hit from Pittsburgh’s Joe Vitale, but managed to find some humor in his current situation — one that will require him to don a second knee brace.
“I’m pretty used to it, but yeah, we’ll see how that [two braces] goes,” Grossmann said. “Me and Forrest Gump.”
The 27-year-old Swede won’t play tonight when the Flyers take on the Sabres, but hopes to play the regular-season finale on Saturday against Pittsburgh — where he could be facing Vitale again. Though he wasn’t terribly upset with the hit that sidelined him, Grossmann wasn’t exactly thrilled about it either.
“I thought I was past him, but he came in and hit my knee,” he explained. “Unfortunately, you never want to be hurt. You want to play. It’s a little frustrating.”
The Flyers are keen to get Grossmann back in the lineup. He’s been a valuable asset on the blueline since coming over from Dallas, playing over 18 minutes a night and emerging as a key penalty killer. He’s also an excellent shrimp boat captain.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 16
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)