Apr 5, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
With just two games remaining in the regular season and a first-round playoff matchup with heated rival Philadelphia looming, the Pittsburgh Penguins decided to play things safe on Thursday, announcing Matt Niskanen (upper-body), James Neal (lower-body) and Steve Sullivan (lower-body) would not face the Rangers.
“All the players at this point in time are expected to be ready to start the playoffs,” head coach Dan Bylsma told the Penguins Report. “They certainly won’t be playing tonight and are uncertain for the weekend. But they’re expected to be returning for the playoffs when they start.”
While it’s unclear what ailments are plaguing Neal and Sullivan, Niskanen’s injury is much easier to pinpoint. He left in the first period of Tuesday’s 5-3 win at Boston after a collision with Bruins forward Dan Paille.
(FF to 1:00)
The Penguins recalled Brian Strait from AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to replace Niskanen.
As for how Pittsburgh will line up without Neal and Sullivan? Here are the line rushes from this morning’s skate:
So yes, it does appear Park and Tangradi are the big winners.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 2
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)