Apr 5, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
With just two games remaining in the regular season and a first-round playoff matchup with heated rival Philadelphia looming, the Pittsburgh Penguins decided to play things safe on Thursday, announcing Matt Niskanen (upper-body), James Neal (lower-body) and Steve Sullivan (lower-body) would not face the Rangers.
“All the players at this point in time are expected to be ready to start the playoffs,” head coach Dan Bylsma told the Penguins Report. “They certainly won’t be playing tonight and are uncertain for the weekend. But they’re expected to be returning for the playoffs when they start.”
While it’s unclear what ailments are plaguing Neal and Sullivan, Niskanen’s injury is much easier to pinpoint. He left in the first period of Tuesday’s 5-3 win at Boston after a collision with Bruins forward Dan Paille.
(FF to 1:00)
The Penguins recalled Brian Strait from AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to replace Niskanen.
As for how Pittsburgh will line up without Neal and Sullivan? Here are the line rushes from this morning’s skate:
So yes, it does appear Park and Tangradi are the big winners.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)