Apr 5, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
With just two games remaining in the regular season and a first-round playoff matchup with heated rival Philadelphia looming, the Pittsburgh Penguins decided to play things safe on Thursday, announcing Matt Niskanen (upper-body), James Neal (lower-body) and Steve Sullivan (lower-body) would not face the Rangers.
“All the players at this point in time are expected to be ready to start the playoffs,” head coach Dan Bylsma told the Penguins Report. “They certainly won’t be playing tonight and are uncertain for the weekend. But they’re expected to be returning for the playoffs when they start.”
While it’s unclear what ailments are plaguing Neal and Sullivan, Niskanen’s injury is much easier to pinpoint. He left in the first period of Tuesday’s 5-3 win at Boston after a collision with Bruins forward Dan Paille.
(FF to 1:00)
The Penguins recalled Brian Strait from AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to replace Niskanen.
As for how Pittsburgh will line up without Neal and Sullivan? Here are the line rushes from this morning’s skate:
So yes, it does appear Park and Tangradi are the big winners.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 1
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 32
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 56
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)