Apr 5, 2012, 9:25 AM EST
Ilya Bryzgalov‘s attempt on Tuesday to play through the chip fracture in his foot didn’t go well for the Philadelphia Flyers. They lost 5-3 to the Rangers and Bryzgalov ended up stopping just 19 of 24 shots. However, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren wasn’t about to blame his goaltender for that loss.
“You couldn’t fault him for any of the goals. I’m not concerned at all,” Holmgren said. “It’s good he got a game behind him and now he can move forward.”
Wayne Simmonds echoed Holmgren’s comments by saying, “We didn’t help him too much.”
Bryzgalov will probably play between the pipes on Thursday against the desperate Sabres. Buffalo is tied with Washington for eighth place with just two games left, but the Capitals control the tiebreaker. That means that if Buffalo loses in regulation and Washington wins, then the Sabres will be eliminated.
With that in mind, the Sabres might be an even tougher challenge for Philadelphia than the first place Rangers were on Tuesday.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)