Apr 5, 2012, 9:25 AM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov‘s attempt on Tuesday to play through the chip fracture in his foot didn’t go well for the Philadelphia Flyers. They lost 5-3 to the Rangers and Bryzgalov ended up stopping just 19 of 24 shots. However, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren wasn’t about to blame his goaltender for that loss.
“You couldn’t fault him for any of the goals. I’m not concerned at all,” Holmgren said. “It’s good he got a game behind him and now he can move forward.”
Wayne Simmonds echoed Holmgren’s comments by saying, “We didn’t help him too much.”
Bryzgalov will probably play between the pipes on Thursday against the desperate Sabres. Buffalo is tied with Washington for eighth place with just two games left, but the Capitals control the tiebreaker. That means that if Buffalo loses in regulation and Washington wins, then the Sabres will be eliminated.
With that in mind, the Sabres might be an even tougher challenge for Philadelphia than the first place Rangers were on Tuesday.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)